BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Lack of simplicity in 3d modelling

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why isn't there a 3d modelling method that allows the user to model complex objects in a simple way? (like in sketchup). Archicad is much too literal in the way its library parts are set up, it lacks simplicity! Modelling a complex roof form is a nightmare (mesh to roof is in no way up to standard!), sloping a beam always seems to be tricky (if anyone knows how to model a sloped RHS, please let me know, thanks) - these should be basic fundamentals of an architectural modelling program!!!
13 REPLIES 13
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Olivia wrote:
(if anyone knows how to model a sloped RHS, please let me know, thanks)
Use a complex profile with your beam.

Most of these things just take a little know-how and advice.

Cheers,
Link.
TomWaltz
Participant
not to mention, Archicad is made for making Construction Documents, which really need to be exact!
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks link, I'd already used the complex profile tool, but found limitations. I was able to model the beam in elevation and then extrude it to give the right width, but in cross section, is it possible to show the profile of an RHS? (rather than a solid rectangle)

As I said, this should be a very simple task, you shouldn't need advice or know-how to model such a basic object.
Dwight
Newcomer
Olivia wrote:
- these should be basic fundamentals of an architectural modelling program!!!
Yes. It is a basic fundamental that users learn how to do these things with the sometimes sorry workarounds that exist. I sympathize with you that not all functions are fingertip functions and that many things can be improved.

Archicad is literal because it deals with the back end of creating basic architecture, not the kid stuff.

I wish architecture was all malleable plastic like in SketchUp but buildings are sticks and users must invest time learning and building elements.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
not arguing with that, but Link is right, if you are using a custom profile for the beam, it will look as a steel profile in the section- not just as a rectangle
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Olivia wrote:
Thanks link, I'd already used the complex profile tool, but found limitations. I was able to model the beam in elevation and then extrude it to give the right width, but in cross section, is it possible to show the profile of an RHS? (rather than a solid rectangle)

As I said, this should be a very simple task, you shouldn't need advice or know-how to model such a basic object.
It is very simple, you just need to learn how it's done in ArchiCAD. You wouldn't expect to drive an 18 wheeler, just because you know how to drive a car would you?

A beam like the one shown will cut it's profiled shape in section. And it's a 3D element, so it doesn' matter where you cut it!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry, I don't know what you mean by 'not the kid stuff'.

I don't think that a sloped RHS can really be put in the same category as 'malleable plastic architecture'. What I'm trying to achieve here is not up with the fairy's, it's just a sloped RHS, which should be a very simple task.

It would just be nice to be able to have more flexibility to create editable 3d elements.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
users must invest time learning and building elements.
although, arguably Sketchup shows how easy it is to make objects and Archicad IMO will have to incorporate this style of modelling components eventually.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just as an alternative, you could use the RHS library part (Under steel structures) which gives you greater control of the cutting angle at the ends.

It also has all the standard sizes built-in, so you don't need to reset all the parameters if you change the size for example.

Don't forget if you do use a custom profile, to make it appear hollow you will need to cut a hole in the fill which will then show in 3D also.

Hope that helps!
Learn and get certified!