Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

VR Objects & Artlantis

KeesW
Advocate
I am unable to use VR objects because we use Vista 64 OS. Apparently, this is an Apple problem, because they own the VR objects enabling process and haven't adapted it to run on 64 bit window systems. I've been told that it does work on 64 bit Apple systems.

I want to upgrade my Artlantis. Will VR object or scene processes work with the latest Artlantis versions on our Vista 64?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
7 REPLIES 7
Thomas Holm
Booster
Abvent's Configurations page
http://www.artlantis.com/index.php?page=products/studio/config&cat=8
says nothing about Vista 64. You might find more info in their forums.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
KeesW
Advocate
Thomas

Thanks for the link. I've checked it but it doesn't answer my question. I've also written to Abvent via their web site and am awaiting a reply.

It might not matter because, according to their forum, the image linking facilities available in previous versions, are not available in the new one. Users are seriously cheesed off when a new version down grades functionality. Lets see what Abvent say.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

Djordje
Ace
KeesW wrote:
Thomas

Thanks for the link. I've checked it but it doesn't answer my question. I've also written to Abvent via their web site and am awaiting a reply.

It might not matter because, according to their forum, the image linking facilities available in previous versions, are not available in the new one. Users are seriously cheesed off when a new version down grades functionality. Lets see what Abvent say.
I fail to see how is Abvent responsible for the quarrel between Apple (QuickTime) and Microsoft (Vista)?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
KeesW
Advocate
Djordje

I may not have expressed myself clearly enough.

Of course Abvent is not responsible for the squabble between Apple and Microsoft. I was hoping that, somehow, the new Artlantis might have overcome the Apple/MS VR problem. Because if it hasn't, many of Artlantis' features cannot be used with Vista 64 operating systems and there is no point upgrading.

The second concern is not caused by this squabble. It seems, from the Artlantis users forum, that the ability to link views, available in previous versions of Artlantis, has been removed in the latest version. I am also is asking Abvent about that.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

Anonymous
Not applicable
KeesW wrote:
The second concern is not caused by this squabble. It seems, from the Artlantis users forum, that the ability to link views, available in previous versions of Artlantis, has been removed in the latest version. I am also is asking Abvent about that.
In fact the VR views linking feature was removed in the ArtLantis Studio version 1 already-the last version with the feature was v. 4.5 of the old ArtLantis.

Anssi
David Collins
Advocate
Anssi wrote:
In fact the VR views linking feature was removed in the ArtLantis Studio version 1 already-the last version with the feature was v. 4.5 of the old ArtLantis.
Anssi
Sad, but true. Rather than wait around for Abvent, I solved this problem by purchasing VR Worx: www.vrtoolbox.com

You still create the individual VR scenes in Artlantis, but this software will link those scenes and control the hotspots that take you from one node to the next. It can create transitional fades from one scene to the next and allow you to insert still photos and animations inside the VR path. It also gives you many options for the compression codex of the final QTVR file, so you can balance image quality against file size.

I found I could insert short transitional animations created in Artlantis to go from one VR node to the next, something that was never possible in either ArchiCAD or Artlantis. Very effective.

The software itself is simple to use, the interface is fairly intuitive and does exactly what it says it does. I'm still on WinXP, so I haven't had to worry about the Vista issues.

I agree that its not ideal to have to buy supplemental software to solve a problem like this, but in this case I think it makes sense: Artlantis is already so memory instensive something like this would probably cripple it altogether. I had lots of VR scenes crashing in Artlantis because it didn't have the resources to accomplish the final compression. Specifying "no compression' allowed the VR's to finish sucessfully and I could then load them into the VR Worx and compress the entire completed compilation.

David Collins
David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
Djordje
Ace
KeesW wrote:
Of course Abvent is not responsible for the squabble between Apple and Microsoft. I was hoping that, somehow, the new Artlantis might have overcome the Apple/MS VR problem. Because if it hasn't, many of Artlantis' features cannot be used with Vista 64 operating systems and there is no point upgrading.
Frankly, I see no point in Vista - XP will do the same and better job with the same hardware, and everything works. Think about it - do you need the newest OS or do you need the stuff to work?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen