BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

suggested workflow in AC

Anonymous
Not applicable
what is the best workflow strategy to go from a model ( in the model view ) to the drawing documentation.

there are many different ways of doing things in AC but I am mostly confused when generating sections elevations etc.. where to put the additional text and call outs, fills on/off, cover fills etc.. ( elevation views or view map ) I have found little documentation about the view map, how/when to use it etc... in addition I am confused about how to deal with layers in AC when it comes down to setting up templates ( visible in 3d/elevations etc.. ). some experiential information would be helpful as well.

I have developed a system for me that works but I am very interested in finding out what other people's approaches are, including GS's suggestion.

thanks
3 REPLIES 3
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Navigator Basics...
Project Map = all the windows that ArchiCAD generates itself...
Each Story
Each Elevation
Each Section
etc.

View Map = Project Window + Attributes
Layer Combination
Scale
Pen Set
etc.

When you click on items in the Project Map, nothing but the window you are looking at changes. So if you are looking at your SITE Plan (for example) and you choose your ROOF story from the project map, you will move to that story, but still have Site Plan layers showing.

If you create VIEWS (in the view map) for SITE PLAN and ROOF PLAN, clicking these will reset all the attributes such that you are looking at the correct window, layers, pens, scale etc.

Views are REQUIRED to place drawings onto Layouts. So when you get to the Layouting portion of the Navigator and call up a sheet, you can only place VIEWS onto it. Even if you drag something from the Project Map, it will create a view (and place it at the bottom of your view map) before placing it on the layout (sheet).

So.... EVERYTHING should make it into your VIEW MAP. You will have to create all your views by setting up your Window, scale, layers, etc and right click inside the VIEW MAP. You have an option then of SAVE CURRENT VIEW which you can NAME and ORGANIZE the way you like. For example, you can keep all Plans together in a folder and all elevations in a separate folder.

There is SO much more to the navigator, but this should get you started.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
NandoMogollon
Advocate
this could help too

cheers
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
Thomas Holm
Booster
Nice summary, Hernando!

Just be aware that this isn't completely consistent, at least not in AC11.
Example: With Sections or Elevations, some display options (Model Display pane in the Settings dialog) are stored with the viewpoint , not the view. This is of course ridiculous, but a fact.

You may find other inconsistencies too.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Learn and get certified!