Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

New Drawing / Old Contents / New Template ???

drh64
Contributor
I have a file with a elements for 14 levels that I would like to drop into a new template file. How do I do this the easiest way?

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
Dwight
Newcomer
You mean that the object passes through fourteen stories?
A single element that tall or fourteen connected elements?

Is this a one-off or do you want to establish it as a permanent part of your library or template?
Dwight Atkinson
Thomas Holm
Booster
Dropped 14 floors it might turn up flat in the template

(sorry, couldn't resist)
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
drh64
Contributor
OK. Let me try my explanation again:

1) I have a file with 14 levels(stories) with data on each level.

2) The file does not have many good settings.

3) I want to move that data to a new file with my new template (modified ArchiCAD Master Template) so that I can access all of those pre-sets.

THX
Eduardo Rolon
You can try Copy/Paste by steps (not everything at once) between one file to the other. Or is there a reason for not using it?

You can also try File -> File Special ->Merge.

This might works in AC10, 09, 08, 07 i can't go earlier because I didn't do any projects with version earlier than 07. Also though it should work on Windows XP it might not on 2000, definitively works on AC11 with Mac OS X 10.5. It might not work in Vista and definitevly it does not work in Linux or OS/2
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
And this is where you'll see the downfall of using a canned template.

You will need to use major attribute management, plus a whole array of tweaks to your template to accommodate your model.

You'll have to start by creating 14 stories, then create all the views for them, then create your layouts for them, and hope that the publisher sets are set up correctly to include all this new information.

Once that's done, you'll have to try and get your model into the space correctly. It would probably be best to copy/paste it into an empty file first then map your layers to the correct template layers. I used to have a layer mapping add-on but I can't find it for the life of me. Anyway, all the other attributes (fills, materials, linetypes, pensets, etc) will just add themselves to your template as you copy it into the template. What you'll end up with is quite a long list of attributes, but you will at least see your model in your template!

Canned templates... "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Cheers,
Link.
Eduardo Rolon
You can also try to save your current project as a PLA and then merging that project into a new file. It might clean up some of the crud of the file in the mystery OS and Release version.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator