Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Java block

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello
I have Archicad 9 and wish to install it on my new computer.
I have the latest Java installed already (Java 6) but when I try to load Archicad 9 it is blocked by a message telling me that Java needs to be installed. I have downloaded from the disc and from the website so now I have 4 versions of Java installed.
When I try to delete Java from the Install/Delete page I am told that the Administrator has set the computer to not allow removal of Java!
I am the Administator and I don't recall having made any choices about Java.
Any bright ideas?
8 REPLIES 8
Thomas Holm
Booster
I don't think Archicad 9 is compatible with Vista.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
I bought the new computer for extra speed and memory so that Archicad would run better. I guess I should have checked before I changed from Windows 98!!!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Having so many Javas is probably not that good. I remember certain apps did not run in my web browser and after I clean ell Javas except one it was fine.
Otherwise, this Java-Vista issue I cannot help with.
But you can try installing the Java that came with the ArchiCAD 9 installation.
Also, I believe Vista can run programs in XP compatibility mode, I wonder if setting that makes any difference.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Eduardo Rolon
rubik101 wrote:
I bought the new computer for extra speed and memory so that Archicad would run better. I guess I should have checked before I changed from Windows 98!!!
AC09 came out if I remember correctly 3 years before Vista, there's no way for GS to certify compatibility with an operating system that didn't exist at the time that they released the software. If you don't want to run in compatibility mode and if you have Vista Business or Ultimate you might be able to install Xp as a "dual boot" system.
If it is any consolation,
Autocad r12 DOS (which I consider the best) does not run in Vista, Xp, 2000, 98, or 95 either.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Many thanks for the info. I have managed to delete all but one of the Javas.
I have 6.5 remaining.
Can someone tell me how to get my Vista to revert to XP or even 98 to allow me to run my Archicad 9 or do I need to buy new?
vistasp
Advisor
rubik101 wrote:
Can someone tell me how to get my Vista to revert to XP or even 98 to allow me to run my Archicad 9 or do I need to buy new?
Rubik,

If you have the original OS media, you can set up a dual boot of Vista & XP as Eduardo suggested (Google it). Win98 may not have the drivers for your new hardware.

Alternatively, if you don't have XP, you'll have to buy it before the end of June because that's when they'll stop selling it entirely. I presume it'll be cheaper than and AC upgrade. 😉

Of course, if you have XP, you might not want to dual boot at all. Personally, I won't touch Vista till they release SP2!
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi I think I have a sim problem.
The office was broken into the other week and they took the PC with ArchiCAD 9 installed on it But they kindly left the dongle behind

So I’m now going about installing ArchiCAD 9 on a new machine with a clean installation of WinXP pro…. Not so easy!!
I keep getting this message:

I've removed every trace of Java Runtime from the PC and ArchiCAD reinstalls it's own copy and I've downloaded the latest version of Java and I still get the same message!!!

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Tony
2.0GB PC8500 DDR2
nVidia GF8600GT graphics
Win XP Pro SP2c
Did you ever get this issue resolved? I am having exact same message when reloading AC9 into new Laptop. Any help is appreciated.
Warren