BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex Profiles & Doors & (Posting Scrn Shots)

Anonymous
Not applicable
so we have a complex profiles wall with a door in it.
The profile is a wall with stone on the lower part and what ever on top.
The door sits in the stud part of the wall, and creates the hole in the stone like it is supposed to, but the hole in the stone is white, rather than looking like stone.
Is there anyway to change that?
I know in the wall settings dialogue you can tell it what meterial you want the edges of the wall to be, but that doesn't fix this.
I have attched a pdf.
Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
Karl Ottenstein
Attached is a screenshot from Jesikuh's PDF to make it easier for fellow readers to see the issue / question...
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl.
How do you do that?
Karl Ottenstein
Jesikuh123 wrote:
Thanks Karl.
How do you do that?
You bet. Easy on Mac - cmd-shift-4 takes a screenshot, so I just opened your PDF and took a screenshot of it. On Windows, you need some kind of screenshot software - there are freeware versions, but I always liked TechSmith's SnagIt the best.

Now...for someone to give you an answer to the question... 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Jesikuh123 wrote:
Thanks Karl.
How do you do that?
On Windows, you need some kind of screenshot software - there are freeware versions, but I always liked TechSmith's SnagIt the best.

Cheers,
Karl
Or just hit the PrntScrn key and paste into an image editor.

Will changing the edge material of the wall fix this?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have changed the edge material, no difference.

I know how to use the print screen key/option, but not how to paste it so it just shows up as an image in my post here, not an attachment.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Would it help perhaps to separate the complex profile down into two parts, the external stone and the main wall. You could then control the end finishes separately. You may need to place them on different layers with differing intersection groups to avoid joining errors.

You would have to fake the holes in the stonework with extra empty openings though, which would be more work.

(To post an image -
- Printscreen,
- Open photoshop, then create a blank document (ctrl+N),
- Paste the image then crop it down using the marquee,
- Save it as a decently compressed jpeg somewhere.

-When posting a message, click the browse button below the message window and locate the image.)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah, I do do it with seperate walls when I have to, I just don't want to, basically, I guess. I didn't think there was a way you could change that.

Oh Well.

So back to posting screen shots again- I know how to get the screen shot, I post it in Word, save, compress, ect then attch- but how do i just get it to show up in this messege like Karl did, instead of attaching it and people having to download it?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jesikuh123 wrote:
So back to posting screen shots again- I know how to get the screen shot, I post it in Word, save, compress, ect then attch- but how do i just get it to show up in this messege like Karl did, instead of attaching it and people having to download it?
The process is how I described it . It also depends on its physical size. Any picture, I believe, over 400 pixels in any dimension is automatically reduced and a smaller preview is posted. You then have to click it to open it full size. Karls attachment was over this size but even when slightly downsized in the preview, it was still legible.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't post in Word, paste it into Image editing software - Photoshop or whatever you have. Save as a JPEG.
Learn and get certified!