Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Help with Artlantis 2 neon light

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just thought Id run this by everyone here as well as the Artlantis forum...

I am trying to get a soft glow along the top and bottom edges of the wall, so I have been trying use the neon shader to achieve this. However, I cannot get anything close to what I want, there is always an extremely strong glow at the end of the hallway, regardless of the power or neon settings, and it also seems like the portions of neon closes to the camera are simply just white with no glow...anyone know a better way to do this or the best settings?? Im completely lost....Im actually considering duplicating hundreds of small lights along the length but that seems a bit insane

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8
Dwight
Newcomer
One of the ways I build my confidence in a software is to see how I quickly can solve a colleague's problem - in public. So when Sloan offered [his/her?] model, the game was on.

Dwight's Two Minute Fix™ of the model =

- turn of hall downlights causing hotspots
- switch crap neon glass shader to neon light shader: see settings including COLOR of light!!! NO SUCH THING AS WHITE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Radiosity to HIGH.
Sloan's Hallway .jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
You truly are a genius...

Never fear...I was only playing with the neon glass just to see if if would work better (clearly not)...most of my time was spent with the neon light.

So is there no way to have the wall lights on as well? I personally am against them but my prof insists that they MUST be there.

Thanks soooo much!

BTW, hows the Artlantis Attitude coming?
Dwight
Newcomer
Fine. Make those lights brown and drop them to .5 power with .1m attenuation.

Make the ceiling darker.

But your prof is showing you that these are bad lights - too high on the wall - anything that high should cast some character light laterally. - and downward.....

Thank you for asking, the book is almost ready - mid March. As I have mentioned before, I have been very ill over the winter. Thanks to those who have pre-ordered. It is now time for the rest of you to sign up for this 300 page, full color, problem-solving screen companion at the pre-release price until Feb 28 ONLY.

Materials, cameras, animations,
Artlantis Attitude Cover.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
okay. all uplights gang selected and edited together.

power 1.
some kind of monkeyshitbrown tint
soft shadows.

My next goround would have even quieter lights.
Hallway with uplites.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
got it all finished now...you can see my final renderings at :

http://www.sloanspringer.com/room.htm
Dwight
Newcomer
How satisfied are you with the outcome?

What would you change if you had another day to work on it?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
All in all I am very pleased, as were all my crits. I dont know how much of that is due to the context and comparison to my peers who know next to nothing when it comes to rendering, but I feel that this is a step up from my previous projects (render-wise) and I can certainly tell that with each project I am getting a much better understanding of rendering as a whole and working in Artlantis.

If I had more time, I would most certainly spend more time on the hall design and rendering, as well as do some more minor detailing elsewhere to help give a more complete feel.
Anonymous
Not applicable
It certainly didn't hurt my ego when our department head saw my images and thought that it was a hotel room I had done a precedent study on, not completely designed myself.