Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Modelling Challenge

Srinivas
Booster
Hi,

I was about to model a bamboo structure for one of my clients and would like to seek your advice before getting started with it to stream line my work flow, all i have now is a Rhino model and the dwg files exported from it. As there are chances of making some design changes, we thought of modelling it in archicad, so we don't want to import the Rhino model into archicad and use it for taking out sections/elevations.

So from Autocad i will have the profile path of each of the bamboo (ridges, beams, headers) imported into ArchiCAD and now all i have to do is to trace the profile shape (a circular fill) along the profile path of each element (ridges, beams etc).

I believe that i have to use an Addon to achieve this (please let me know if i dont have to achieve this, I would love to hear from you). So far I am only conversant with ArchiForma, I am all ears regarding the best way to model this in ArchiCAD. Do let me know if other addons CAD Image/Objective can achieve this?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts and sorry for the long post, I wanted to be clear.

This model has to be done in ArchiCAD 11

Thanks in advance.

-Srinivas.

Kona Shed 3 Views_Page_1.jpg
ArchiCAD Services
ArchiCAD since v9 to latest
iMac, Windows 10
8 REPLIES 8
Srinivas
Booster
another pic of the model
ArchiCAD Services
iMac, Windows 10
Srinivas
Booster
Front view
ArchiCAD Services
iMac, Windows 10
Erika Epstein
Booster
This looks like a job for Ralph Wessel and his Objective.

I think we are going to have to make a superman-type suit for Ralph.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
NandoMogollon
Advocate
I would say, Trussmaker for "flat" trusses" and Profiled Beams for the"curved" shape (straight line segments)....
And long late hours, Gallons of Coffee, and patience.

As an example from someone within our office...

Good Luck!

Regards
Nando
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Srinivas wrote:
I was about to model a bamboo structure for one of my clients and would like to seek your advice [] Do let me know if other addons CAD Image/Objective can achieve this?
Yes, OBJECTiVE would be ideal for this kind of structure because it provides a lot of freedom for 3D modelling (profiling, rotating, cutting, and bending) without producing 'dumb' objects. If you refer to the attached image:
  • 1. Open the OBJECTiVE tool settings, select the 'Regular Profile' object, and set the number of edges to 1 (for a circular profile). You might also want to set an appropriate texture for the bamboo. Close the settings and select the method to place objects by length and angle.

2. Trace lengths of bamboo over the drawings you already have. You can do this in either plan or elevation. If you draw in plan, you can use the tool OBJECTiVE > Tools > Rotate to tilt the entire assembly into the correct orientation. When you draw in section or elevation views, OBJECTiVE makes the objects part of the 3D model (rather than just objects in the 2D elevation view).

3. Use OBJECTiVE > Tools > Bend to bend bamboo segments to the required curve. This can also be done in plan and/or elevation (you can bend in more than one axis).

4. Then trace the rafters connecting the beams.

5. And the same for the lower truss sections (bending as required)

6. You can use OBJECTIVE > Tools > Split to shape the bamboo, e.g. at junctions. You can also SEO the objects.

7. The structure in 3D
P.S. I should mention that OBJECTiVE has the same functionality in all versions of ArchiCAD from 8.1 through to 13.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Damm! We need objective NOW! You hear me graphisoft?! iNCLUDE THIS EXCELENT PROGRAM ON THE NEXT RELEASE!
Srinivas
Booster
Even though the structure looks complex it can be broken down to simple modeling elements all I need from ArchiCAD is a command to extrude a profile (in this case a simple circular fill) along a path in section/elevation window or along a 3d polyline in the 3d window which native ArchiCAD was not able to do. I believe Graphisoft should have given us this kind of tool much earlier, where addons like Archiforma/Objective can achieve the same from ArchiCAD's API. Revit is collecting some wonderful tools to create blobitecture, unfortunately we are still stuck at something like this. Graphisoft come on we still want to be the leaders.

PS: Ralph thanks for all your time, I will look into Objective.
ArchiCAD Services
iMac, Windows 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
/subscribes to thread