Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Working on PLN file with both 64 & 32 bit systems?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

While all the workstations at our office run xp 32 bit on AC13, one of the guys just bought a new Sony Vaio with windows 7. I installed AC13 on it in 64 bit. I just copied a pln onto it to test it out, and when opening the file I got a message to the effect, "This file has not been opened in a 64 bit system before. There may be problems if you try to save it and open it with a 32 bit system."

Could someone please let me know more about this? Specifically: is this really an issue and you are not to try to work on plns with different bit systems, or is this a message which is pretty much to be ignored? I don't know and can't judge the seriousness of the message. I guess I am finding it hard to believe that people with different bit systems wouldn't be able to work on files together. I would have thought there would be a lot more screaming in this forum, and when I searched for this issue, I couldn't find any remarks.

Thank you in advance for your time and help,

Foster
2 REPLIES 2
Erika Epstein
Booster
A 64 bit machine can handle significantly larger and more complex files than a 32 bit machine. The warning is because a 32 bit machine may not be able to handle it.
That said, most people here work on files, even 'large' ones that are not a problem on 32 bit machines.
I have had no problems opening such files on 32 bit, but then again I am not rebuilding Hong Kong
Go ahead and open it.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Erika,

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. We do mainly small projects, so I am sure it won't be an issue.

Foster