Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Backward compadibility

rjwilden
Booster
I have updated my profile to show what version of Archicad I'm running.
It makes rather poor reading and makes backward compatability a bit of a joke.
I need access to all three of these versions with current jobs and jobs still being built. In one more year I will have to have 4 loaded versions of Archicad on my computer. I tried to do some work in 9.0 the other day and was very difficult to get things done. Cant remember where anything was.
With a new version every year, this is going to become a serious problem.

Richard.
Richard Wilden Design. Ltd
Dunedin, New Zealand.
Imac 27" i9 3.6GHz; 32GB Ram Mac OS 11.3
Archicad V23:V24
11 REPLIES 11
TomWaltz
Participant
Why not update them to the current version? (I say that because we're in the process of updating all our old AC/PM9 files to AC11 so we can dump AC9 and 10 when AC11 is released office-wide)
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Converting files from 9 to 10 is a bit of a chore due to the PM integration, but it is effort that is well rewarded. I recommend doing as Tom suggests and clear some time to get your projects up to date. It will save you lots of time and frustration later.

The conversion from 10 to 11 seems so far to be painless and trouble free. Just open and save in the new version and keep working...
rjwilden
Booster
I always have a number of jobs that are on hold, haven't started or are being built by owners at a snails pace. Converting all these to current versions is a lot of work. Some of these go back 4 years, cant remember what version I was using then. I know of one that the permit was issued in 1998 and its still being built. I'm a one man operation and the logistics of updating are too daunting to think about . And I wouldn't be getting paid to do it. I just hope that no one comes back with requests for further work.

Richard.
Dunedin, New Zealand.
Anonymous
Not applicable
rjwilden wrote:
I always have a number of jobs that are on hold, haven't started or are being built by owners at a snails pace. Converting all these to current versions is a lot of work. Some of these go back 4 years, cant remember what version I was using then. I know of one that the permit was issued in 1998 and its still being built. I'm a one man operation and the logistics of updating are too daunting to think about . And I wouldn't be getting paid to do it. I just hope that no one comes back with requests for further work.

Richard.
Perhaps you need to start including an allowance for file maintenance in your fee structure.

Otherwise you better make sure you have an old computer around with ArchiCAD 7 loaded and running to convert the older projects if the need arises.
Rakela Raul
Participant
I just hope that no one comes back with requests for further work.
i hope you kidding
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
Converting files from 9 to 10 is a bit of a chore due to the PM integration, but it is effort that is well rewarded. I recommend doing as Tom suggests and clear some time to get your projects up to date. It will save you lots of time and frustration later.

The conversion from 10 to 11 seems so far to be painless and trouble free. Just open and save in the new version and keep working...

woe, what a frightening topic, until I heard this, The conversion from 10 to 11 seems so far to be painless and trouble free. Just open and save in the new version and keep working.... I just hope in two years from now we dent face whats happening regarding AC7 files all over again.
Anonymous
Not applicable
DavidCSinohui wrote:
Matthew wrote:

woe, what a frightening topic, until I heard this, The conversion from 10 to 11 seems so far to be painless and trouble free. Just open and save in the new version and keep working.... I just hope in two years from now we dent face whats happening regarding AC7 files all over again.
Open & Save has been the standard (and pretty painless) for most releases of ArchiCAD (back to version 3.43 at least). The exceptions have been going from 7 to any newer version and from 9 to 10. In both cases this has been due to the major improvements documentation features. The layout book in 8 and the PM integration in 10.

The discontinuity is a major pain, but an unavoidable one (unless you want to keep using AC7 until you retire). It appears that we should not see such disruptive upgrades coming again any time soon.
Rick Thompson
Expert
DavidCSinohui wrote:
I just hope in two years from now we dent face whats happening regarding AC7 files all over again.
Not sure what you are referring to (I have no memory), but AC11 will not open AC7 files, if the resolves anything for you:)

I also recommend to just convert files as you go along. My whole $$ is based on files I started in AC4.5 (well, as early as then), and I am still working those files. I have probably converted 300 - 400 files into AC10 (arrgh), and now they are done and as I open them now they are in AC11, and life goes on:)
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
rjwilden
Booster
Rakela wrote:
I just hope that no one comes back with requests for further work.
quote]i hope you kidding
No not really. Opening an old file is the exception not the rule. A lot of changes and alterations happened on the job with no additional drawing work required, This was often done by the builder or with a disscusion and a verbal confirmation. Were talking basic residentail contruction here. However new Govt legislation has put a stop to this and every minor change is now needing documentation back to the local authority. So the opening of old files is going to become very important.

Richard
Dunedin, New Zealand.