BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Window setting/insertion problems

Anonymous
Not applicable
A couple of problems...
1. The attached screen shot shows how two windows inserted in walls affect the adjacent walls immediately beside the window. One has a whited out area next to the window and the other has changed the insulation pattern to blue and has extended the interior surface into the wall at the 90 degree point.
2. Is there an easy way to insert one window on top of another in a wall section and if so, how do you put a window marker on each so that it shows up in the floor plan?
3. I have created a new composite wall with 1/2" plywood/5 1/2" foam and 1/2" plywood. When a window is inserted in this wall, it sets the frame at the face of the foam, rather than at the face of the plywood, which is the outside face of the wall. Is there a setting to get it to move the window out? See Screen shot
Thanks,
Jay
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Did you attach a file? I don't see it....

I can't help with the first two, but for #3, from your description, I think you need go to the window settings and under parameters change the Wall Type from Stud Wall with Siding to Stud Wall.
Sam Wheatley
Contributor
2. Is there an easy way to insert one window on top of another in a wall section and if so, how do you put a window marker on each so that it shows up in the floor plan?

you can insert a window in the 3d view, also you can offset the window marker further out from the window for one of the markers, either by dragging one of the labels or manually offseting it in the window defalt settings/custom marker settings

This also brings up a complaint I have about ArchiCad windows, a grouping of window labels each and every window separate. this is not how windows are scheduled, a group of windows is either an A, or B, etc. type window, not an A & B & etc., so that the rough opening corresponds to the group of windows. I have complained about this to my reseller since the beginning of archicad time. it is the first thing I look for in an upgrade. I use 3rd party windows which does it correctly, and as each upgrade happens I have to pay for upgrades on 3rd party windows which exist in every job.

enough with my ranting, I am basicly satisified with ArchiCad so don't read this the wrong way, But I hope this will get improvements where they are much needed
ArchiCad 26 US

IMac Pro

iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 16 GB

NIVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Which third party windows do you use?
Sam Wheatley
Contributor
I use real windows and doors from 3d smartparts
http://ddgi.com/object_shop/d3sp-dl02.html
ArchiCad 26 US

IMac Pro

Anonymous
Not applicable
JDC001 wrote:
A couple of problems...
1. The attached screen shot shows how two windows inserted in walls affect the adjacent walls immediately beside the window. One has a whited out area next to the window and the other has changed the insulation pattern to blue and has extended the interior surface into the wall at the 90 degree point.
We need a Screen Shot.
JDC001 wrote:
I usually place the "second" window using the middle snap point on the "first" window. As far as the Marker, I just check the "Flip Marker" box under the Marker Settings. For window types that are usually placed above other windows I have a Favorite set. These Favorites have the correct type aprons set for my "high" windows and the marker is set to be Flipped as default.
JDC001 wrote:
3. I have created a new composite wall with 1/2" plywood/5 1/2" foam and 1/2" plywood. When a window is inserted in this wall, it sets the frame at the face of the foam, rather than at the face of the plywood, which is the outside face of the wall. Is there a setting to get it to move the window out? See Screen shot
Thanks,
Jay
Chris already stated were you need to look for this. I can not say that I completely understand the differences. With Composite walls and Exterior Trim over Siding I have found the Solid Wall type to display the most accurate.

Also Messing around with this, I found the my Side exterior Trim (Graphisoft insists on calling it Brick Molding) which I have set to 3.5" width will change to to between 2" & 2.5" as I switch between the different wall types. And if I switch back to Solid Wall it does not make it back to 3.5" but only to 2.5".

I have always wanted to use Composite walls, but this kind of interaction and display problems with the doors and windows always leaves me thinking that I may have to resort back to "plain" walls. I know the AC is getting better with Composite walls and there interaction with each other, but I just can not seem to get what I want with the door and window openings.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sam wrote:
I use real windows and doors from 3d smartparts
http://ddgi.com/object_shop/d3sp-dl02.html
Thanks - I have to say, I'm completly confused - there's the AC doors and windows, the cadimage tool, and this library (and more, I'm sure) I'm trying to figure out what's best for me so that I don't spend lots of time configuring one type only to start all over again because I discover a hidden limitation and have to switch to something else. Any suggestions or pros/cons anyone?

I see that the smart part library has trim profiles, which is nice and lacking in the others (I think).

Also, I saw elsewhere that using non-AC doors and windows can cause problem creating schedules? Is that the case?

Thanks!!!
Sam Wheatley
Contributor
Chris B wrote:
Also, I saw elsewhere that using non-AC doors and windows can cause problem creating schedules? Is that the case?

Problems do exist with 3rd party windows also. Some use cadimage door and window builder (which I own too), I personally don't like the interface.
So I choose the less of three evils(3 including AC windows) for what works best for me. I feel we users need to press Graphisoft to correct this fundimental problem inside the base program. This has been brought to their attention for many years with no improvments. My reseller knows this all to well. I find it hard to advise you on this because with the new release AC 11 I am having new problems with real windows and doors which I didn't have in AC 10. So you can see my reasoning to get it fixed inside the base program.

Thanks
ArchiCad 26 US

IMac Pro

Anonymous
Not applicable
Chris wrote:

Thanks!!!
I use door and window builder and the door elevations were not showing up in my interactive schedule in the 11 release. They have since corrected this problem. One other issue I have had relating to schedules is that in the latter releases of door and window builder they have hidden the listing parameters which are common to standard archcicad windows and doors. I have had to go into the D&WB library parts and make some adjustments so these parameters show in my parameter list. They would show in my schedule, but I was limited to only adjusting these in the scheduling environment versus in the window or door dialog box. I have included a screen shot showing where the display for these can be turned on in the library editing environment for any current users who are interested. One other issue I have with scheduling is that the garage doors with D&WB do not have these parameters included with the part so I use standard garage doors. Otherwise I can mix and match D&WB door and windows with standard archicad doors and windows and use the interactive schedule without incidence.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Mike - that's very helpful - I'm relieved that the D&WB elements can be integrated and mixed with AC's
Learn and get certified!