BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

New Penryn based MacBook Pros dilemma

Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I was waiting for my MacBook Pro as soon as Leopard kicks in, now Apple announced new line of MacBook Pros based on Penryn chips (supposedly 20% faster and not so power hungry as current ones) in 1Q 2008.

Is it better to wait and get one with Penryn? or it is not worth of waiting for another 3-4 months (assuming that Leopard will be out in late October or so).

What do you reckon?
::rk
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thats technology for ya. Have to make the leap at some point....

Apple haven't actually announced anything, details were leaked. but it all fits.
20% sounds like it is worth waiting for but it all comes down to the state of your current system and how long you can wait.
TomWaltz
Participant
I'd say a 20% increase in the next 6 months is falling behind Moore's Law. At some point you have to take the plunge. There is ALWAYS a new product somewhere on the horizon.
Tom Waltz
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
everything was so nicely prepared and now this temptation...
it's a hard one.
Dwight
Newcomer
Once you think it is time for a new system, waiting makes things worse. Except for Leopard.

The idea is that you suffer your old system now to get the increase in speed later, but you could be using today's technology to be productive and accelerate your learning today. There is no saving or advantage in waiting once you are dissatisfied with your machine.

But: waiting for a 20% speed increase is silly, since today's machines are quite fast. Less power demand, not so important since battery power declines rapidly as a machine ages. You can never truly be freed from a power cord until the magic eternal power supply arrives.

If you wait, wait for a 200% speed increase.
Dwight Atkinson
Thomas Holm
Booster
Dwight wrote:
If you wait, wait for a 200% speed increase.
+20% = 1.2X = hardly noticeable.

+ 200% = 2X = definitely noticable. But means waiting a couple of years at least.

I agree with Dwight. Look at your own work. If you need the new machine now, buy. If not, not.

That's why we once kept our old MacIIfx for 12 years
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Erich
Contributor
Everyone is spot on don't let numbers sway you to wait.

Besides, once you have a new machine it won't matter what comes out next. The changes aren't that dramatic in the short term.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
thanks for your opinions fellas.
I think I will stick with the original scenario and I will get one in October.
Karl Ottenstein
Dwight wrote:
...Less power demand, not so important since battery power declines rapidly as a machine ages..
Regardless of a battery or not...less power demand equals less carbon footprint. Not something to be taken so lightly given the current state of things...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!