BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

The Classical Orders

Erich
Contributor
What is the best method, short of GDL - I'm not there...yet, to model a classical column? Say something simple like a tuscan column with a plinth. Looking through the tools available it seems the best option would be to use Profiler. But perhaps someone has a better method or there is something I am missing?

Mathew, doing a search for this subjet I see you mentioning the classical orders a couple of times. What do you do?

It is a shame that the column object that ships with AC is so woefully incorrect. It would be great if it were accurate and could be defined by column diameter which would then set all other attributes.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, for a Tuscan column Profiler will work but for the other orders
I think you will need GDL. Alternatively, you could see what you
can find on Objects Online. I know there are several classical column
objects offered there.
Peter Devlin
Erich
Contributor
Peter,

Thanks for the response. Yes I have seen the columns on Object Online. As of yet I haven't downloaded them to try them out.

Right now I am trying to learn as much of AC as possible prior to our office changing from our ancient version of AutoCad. I wanted to get a feel for just how much we will be able to model with the tools immediately at our disposal once we make the plunge. Since we do a lot of classically based residential work the Orders are important for us. I just wanted to make sure that the modeling methods I think are appropriate, truely are the best ones.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
27" iMac Retina 5K
Erika Epstein
Booster
There are columns in the archicad library. Most are in section 03 Concrete.

You can also use the library's search function which will locate a few more.
The top left button of Object Default Settings (cmd+T or ctrl+T) allows you to switch the library organization from CSI standard folders, Subtype View and Find Library Parts.

Another helpful resource if you are new to archicad is a pdf of the library which you can find under the HELP menu. This you can download to your computer and/or print out.

HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Erich
Contributor
Erika,

Thanks, I have already explored the included columns. Unfortunatly, they are not correct and only become worse should you try to scale them. Also, in AC 11 in the US library at least, there is only a Doric option.

As for the pdf file showing the library, I do not seem have that option in AC 11.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
27" iMac Retina 5K
Erika Epstein
Booster
Erich,
Under the Help menu, below the pdf symbols are websites. If you go the Library website you will be at a pdf which you view online or download.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Erich
Contributor
Erika,

Ah, I hadn't looked at that one yet and did not realize it led to a web link with a PDF. Thanks.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erich wrote:
Mathew, doing a search for this subjet I see you mentioning the classical orders a couple of times. What do you do?
It's been a while since I needed true classical orders (I'm in California now), but when I did, the only solution I found was to make them up custom and/or cobble them together from odd bits. Sadly it seems that the orders have been out of fashion long enough now that the authors of what parts we do have didn't bother to make them able to take proper proportions.

The good news is that the only really hard part is the columns (particularly the capitals). Entablatures, cornices, pediments and even pulvinated zoetropes are pretty easy with the complex profiles. You can even get a proper cornice to rake joint if you take the time to make the right profiles and miter them vertically with SEOs.

Simple dentils, modillions and glyphs are easy enough, but can get a little fussy unless you have the time and skill to program a little GDL. Elaborate carvings are obviously a problem, but egg and dart can be pretty well represented with a well crafted material.

To get decent columns you may want to try assembling them from the best bits you can find. That way you may be able to adjust the capital, shaft and plinth to their proper proportions. When all else fails, just get them as close as you can and paste good line drawings into the elevations.

BTW: There do seem to be some decent corinthian columns at archive3d.net, but the one I just downloaded is hugely complex. I have also yet to find an ionic order that doesn't look like a cartoon.
Chazz
Enthusiast
Matthew wrote:
and even pulvinated zoetropes are pretty easy
If only this forum had a quote of the day.... This would be it!
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Thomas Holm
Booster
The D3 smart parts Trim library contains some customizable columns and caps that look quite good, with entasis and all. (but I'm no expert).
http://www.ddgi.com/object_shop/d3sp-shop01-libs-tr.html
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Learn and get certified!