BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

DWG Export of bubble linetype

Anonymous
Not applicable
We are looking for a way to maintain revision clouds when exporting to DWG, as currently the bubble linetype resolves to a solid line once the file is opened in Autocad.

Can anyone suggest a way to ensure these remain as created in Archicad, either by GDL object, exploding the line type, or any other suggestion?

Thanks in advance!
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rod, I have a few ideas you might try.

The main source of your problem is this: in AC, revision clouds are created by drawing a box with the bubble linetype. In ACAD, revision clouds are created by a command called REVCLOUD that draws arcs of a certain chord length while tracing your mouse movements. Thus, stock ACAD does not have a bubble linetype similar to AC's. However, as in AC, you can create custom linetypes in ACAD. As I figure it, your options are these:

1. Create a custom linetype in ACAD to be similar to the Bubble linetype in AC. You must then configure your translator (you know how to do this, yes?) to convert all AC Bubble linetypes to your new, customized ACAD "bubble" linetype. Make sure that you include the custom ACAD linetype file (.lin) in your ACAD support folder on your computer and with any .dwg files you send to consultants. That way everyone will see what you see. Pay attention to LTSCALE issues.

2. I don't know if you can explode the AC bubble linetype into its component arcs, but if you can, do that. That would be way easier to translate over to ACAD, although it would be more of a mess to change if needed.

3. Turning the AC revision clouds into GDL objects is a good idea since you can set your dwg translator to convert GDL objects to ACAD blocks. However, I suspect that you will run into the whole linetype issue mentioned in the preface. Try it, though!

4. Set your translator to convert the AC bubble linetype into ACAD ZIGZAG or BATTING linetypes. These are stock ACAD linetypes that will kinda sorta approximate the look of a revision cloud. If you're a stickler for the graphic feel and quality of your drawings, even your CDs, this might not be the best solution for you. If you're more concerned about communicating the design, then this one might work because I think the consultants / contractors will get the idea.

Personally, I'd probably make the effort to do #1. But #4 is the fastest and easiest, and the others fall in between.

Good luck!
Zolli

PS: Everyone around here recommends that you add your AC version (i.e. 10, 11.1112, etc.) and hardware specs to your profile signature so we can all better troubleshoot your problems. Besides, if you don't, Djordie, our moderator, will be quick ask (and rightly so)!
Thomas Holm
Booster
Rod wrote:
.., or any other suggestion?
I guess this belongs to the last cathegory:

To avoid this issue, draw you revision clouds in Archicad with the solid linetype, using the Polyline Tool and the Arcs by Centerpoint option, far right on the pet palette.

It's very fast, very flexible and fully customizable, you can place your clicks one after the other on a straight line, and you get just the bubbles you want, which you often don't with the Bubble linetype, and no translation troubles whatsoever.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks guys for your responses... I'll look at the polyline suggestion for the short term, but longer term we're working on a GDL oject that will be stretchable and will place the polylines with random radius' automatically.
Anonymous
Not applicable
and with a signature
Djordje
Ace
Rod wrote:
and with a signature
Yesss 😉
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rod, can you share your GDL objects revision clouds when finished?
Andy Thomson
Advisor
From Olivier Dentan:

Now if anyone would care to make a stretchy 'n-gon' version of this object Rather than the rectangle or ovoid option), that would complete it IMO.
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Learn and get certified!