BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Change management

Anonymous
Not applicable
Team,

this was probably discussed in the past but I am looking for a way, inside archicad to manage multiple design options at once. In this particular case we have 2 options that our client wants us to similtaneously manage and update. In some cases it may be more than 2 at a time. We currently create stories for the different options but I personally don't think this because it creates way to many stories and is confusing. Plus file size tends to grow.

My approach is to create seperate files and then manage each option seperately. but team members don't like this suggestion because they prefer to work in one file.

Anyway, is there a better way to manage this? any recomendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5
TomWaltz
Participant
My rule has always been one design per file. That way you can expand the scope of any one design without affecting any others.

Putting multiple designs into a single file with multiple users means using Teamwork from day 1 of a project, which just adds more hassle at a time when you want the most flexibility for each person.

Your people may not like it, but it's the most flexible option. Everything else requires a lot of hassle and workaround to do something Archicad was not intended to do.
Tom Waltz
Dwight
Newcomer
Remember that one operator to one file means that when things go wrong it is easier to assess blame.
Dwight Atkinson
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
A very effective method is to save different teamwork drafts as different design options.

Try this.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
My rule has always been one design per file. That way you can expand the scope of any one design without affecting any others.

Putting multiple designs into a single file with multiple users means using Teamwork from day 1 of a project, which just adds more hassle at a time when you want the most flexibility for each person.

Your people may not like it, but it's the most flexible option. Everything else requires a lot of hassle and workaround to do something Archicad was not intended to do.
I agree with Tom and generally recommend design alternates be one to a file (with some rare exceptions). The obvious problem with this can be reconciling divergent files later on. In many cases this problem can be ameliorated or even eliminated by various uses of hotlinks and modules.
Djordje
Ace
Link wrote:
A very effective method is to save different teamwork drafts as different design options.

Try this
... and the only one I know that does keep all the versions within the same file.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Learn and get certified!