Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

perpendicular dimension along an inclined plane

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

How do i dimension a perpendicular distance between two walls or site boundaries (inclined at an angle) that are not orthogonal, i mean along the x and y axis of Archicad floor plan window
Without having to draw a line and click along this line, drawn perpendicular across or to the two target walls

Thank you

Femi
6 REPLIES 6
Djordje
Ace
femi wrote:
How do i dimension a perpendicular distance between two walls or site boundaries (inclined at an angle) that are not orthogonal, i mean along the x and y axis of Archicad floor plan window
Without having to draw a line and click along this line, drawn perpendicular across or to the two target walls
Dimension with aligned dimension at any angle, and then rotate the dimension line to the required angle.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
'

Thank you it works great still i hope dimension with Archicad can be more flexible and easy to reach or may be i will come across more efficient or advance dimension option of doing the construction drawing floor plan of a project

Thanks
Femi
Thomas Holm
Booster
I don't understand the problem? If you use the inclined geometry method and start placing your dimension on an arbitrary position on a wall, the dimension line will always be perpendicular to that wall (it will show the thickness of the wall as the first dimension but you can easily delete that afterwards). Next, you can click another wall and it will show the distance between the walls if they are parallel. If they are not, Archicad won't accept any arbitrary point - you will have to click a node of some kind. This makes perfect sense and I don't think it could be simpler.

If you want to create a dimension from an arbitrary point on a line and perpendicular to that line, you just use the Guide lines. Place your first dimension point on a line, then hover over the line 'til you get the guide line parallel, then over your first dimension point 'til you get the perpendicular guideline - place your second point where it crosses the second line (Archicad will snap to the crossing). This way you can create your unassociated (static) dimension without having to delete anyting afterwards. (To get an associated dimension you need to click nodes).

I don't think this could be simpler either.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
TomWaltz
Participant
just use the "angled dimension" method. It's right next to Vertical and Horizontal.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
I realize this is an old thread, but I'm having a problem with this. I'm working on a project where a section of the house, and sitework is at an odd angle. Using Thomas' suggestion using the wall thickness as a start point works with walls, but not boundary lines or other objects. And his method of producing a perpendicular guideline does not work for me. Maybe things have changed with AC15.
Barry Kelly
In 15 (& 16) place the guidelines first (make sure the dimension tool is not active otherwise you won't get the guide snaps).

Place your cursor on the line you want to go perpendicular to and then click on the guide hotspot to create a guideline along that line.
Now if you want to dimension from a node along that line (or any other line) you can position your mouse there and press the keyboard shortcut for guidelines (`) and then position a guideline perpendicular to the first one.
If you want just a random point along a line then the keyboard shortcut won't work.
But you can use the "place guide segment" tool to do the same thing.

Now the guidelines are in place you can activate your dimension tool and place the dimension.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11