Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Rendering on a marsh site

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok guys i need some input. I have a project located at the edge of a marsh and need to start doing renderings for the A.R.B. (review board). Does any one have a good idea on how to create a marsh like object? I mean it can be a flat surface, but placeing 1000 tiny library parts will kill the rendering time. Ideas?

I attached a pic of the site i need to recreate.

13 REPLIES 13
Dwight
Newcomer
The picture is a good start.
Why would you need a 3D grass object?

Why not use Photoshop to integrate the building project into the site without trying to re-render the site? Or use the LightWorks ShadowCatcher feature to cast shadows with the background photo.

Further: ArchiRADAR does have a free grass object that could be repurposed to swamp grass - in Artlantis. I'd be glad to pose as a Swamp Creature just in case you need some local entourage.

If you are concerned for rendering time, use the fully featured Artlantis Demo - it can eat many of those grass objects for breakfast.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I wish it was that easy to just photoshop that building in, but i need renderings from all angels and from up above as well. I have Arlantis Studio but have not dropped the model in yet. but even still I don't have the good Artlanits libraries with lots of vegetation.
Dwight
Newcomer
I get your point.

There are many free elements at ArchiRADAR for Artlantis.

Artlantis is good but they still don't have a heavens-eye-view, however.

I should also advise that Lucifer is the only angel accepting rendering work at this time. He brings light. He works in 3D Studio because it is so much like Hell.
Dwight Atkinson
Karl Ottenstein
If it must be 3D, then consider:
http://www.artlantisobjects.com/html/free_objects.html

Multiplying the placed objects may take a while...and not sure what an entire marsh full would do to rendering times! (If you do not need animation, consider doing multiple renderings and merging in Photoshop. For example, render the scene with the reed grasses with radiosity turned off - as the grasses will make that really slow - and then render again with the grasses invisible, but with radiosity on. Etc. If you can get away with turning shadow casting off on the grasses, that will help, too if you have 100's of them placed.)

Karl
artlantisobjects.com.png
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Dwight
Newcomer
I have been experimenting with ArchiRADAR's grass on a large lawn, and it is not so slow as you might expect.

With Artlantis 2, you can gang object selections to multiply them each move, so covering an area is easy enough.
Dwight Atkinson
Karl Ottenstein
Dwight wrote:
I have been experimenting with ArchiRADAR's grass on a large lawn, and it is not so slow as you might expect.
I see that they have a virtual treasure trove of free objects there! Which of the 7 or so grass objects are you working with?

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Dwight
Newcomer
http://www.archiradar.it/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=44&Itemid=28

Oggetti di Vegetazione:

erba
erba corta
erba lunga
erba di marijuana
erba pesce
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
i posted this during the week
archiradar grass.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been using those Archiradar free plants since 2005, when Artlantis R first came out.
Heavy, but you can achieve very passable results with them.
And free...
RIP CAD.2.jpg