Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to use tiff and gif files as help to make new drawings

Anonymous
Not applicable
The school were I study has made the drawings we need in the tasks we are going to solve, available as tiff and gif files.
(I also has them on paper.) A fellow student told me I could use the electronic versions as help when I was going to draw the same drawings in ArchiCAD. But how is that possible? How do I do it?
3 REPLIES 3
Dwight
Newcomer
Images can be pasted into Archicad plans and other analytical views.

They can then be resized to scale.

The common method is to trace over the images with Archicad elements.

This is an idiotic method since scanned images [gif or tiff] rarely have adequate resolution for architectural accuracy, but might be good enough for rough emulations.

You are better off to accurately redraw the building from dimensioned plans.
Dwight Atkinson
Karl Ottenstein
I agree completely with Dwight ... but in the case of a school project, if the issue is a design assignment that will not be dimensioned, or if it is 'context buildings' for your design, then precision is not necessarily essential.

Besides approximate tracing of the image placed into a worksheet and used as a trace reference ... there will be no snapping, just an overlay... you can convert a reasonably crisp image into a dwg that you can then place and either snap to or, if lucky, magic wand to speed up the conversion process. (Again...this will never work accurately enough for a real project!)

If you have Adobe Illustrator, it can perform this conversion to dwg. There are other things out there as well. Probably not worth the time unless the drawing is pretty complex.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's more a "context building". I'm studying interior design, so the most important is to furnish the rooms.