Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Merging split walls - was: opposite of 'Split'?

Anonymous
Not applicable
i have used the 'Split' command to break up some walls and now i need to 'combine' certain parts again (i.e. make 2 parts into a whole).

i have tried all the Reshape operations but nothing seems to be able to join the walls again - is there a way to do this?
6 REPLIES 6
Karl Ottenstein
Derek wrote:
thanks for the quick reply. i would have drawn them again but they are in a tricky situation (intersections etc.) so i think i'll just leave them as they are.
It is painful that GS has not provided a wall-merge feature yet.

You can use the magic wand to recreate your walls from the split walls. Then, of course, you have to re-insert your openings. Eyedropper from the old wall, place in the new, and then drag to align. As I said, painful.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rocorona
Booster
Did you try Unify?

Good attempt. Unfortunately Unify can only join Lines/Arcs/Polylines to make a single Polyline

(but I had to try it to be sure...)

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
This is possible to do with the tools we currently have. Select both walls, go the to Model Menu>Select Complex Profiles>Select Merge Walls. While it is perhaps not the most obvious place to look, it does work and your previously split walls will become one.

HTH
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Karl Ottenstein
Erich wrote:
This is possible to do with the tools we currently have. Select both walls, go the to Model Menu>Select Complex Profiles>Select Merge Walls. While it is perhaps not the most obvious place to look, it does work and your previously split walls will become one.
Actually, this is something entirely different. The Merge Walls does not join separate pieces of wall that are broken along their length. Rather, it takes several walls that are placed next to each other to represent a single wall and creates a profile that allows the assemblage to be drawn as one wall.

Cheers,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Erich
Contributor
Karl,

You are correct, this will make a complex profile wall and is useful to make odd shapes. However, as Raul noted, once your previously split walls are merged, just change the wall from a complex profile to a standard wall and things are back to normal with the previously split wall now joined.

At least it seems to work here unless I am still missing something.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Karl Ottenstein
Erich!

You're the man! This does indeed mostly work, and it isn't something documented, and it may not have been intended by GS.

Merge Walls as I described it (walls next to each other, lengthwise) creates a new assemblage profile. The user manual describes this as "Create Complex Profile from Parallel Elements".

But, walls abutting lengthwise does work as you say! My apology! If the walls are all the same wall structure, the result is a single wall. If different structures, it appears that the thicker wall becomes the wall shape for the entire assembly.

(The resulting walls have a profile called "Custom" - which must be captured to be viewed/edited.)

As you say, you can convert back to a 'normal' wall.

But the caveat: the walls I tested this on were complex profiled walls already with the reference line set inside the profile next to the core by proper fill placement. After a merge, the newly created profile has the reference line on the outside. When I switch back to the original/desired wall structure - easiest via eyedropper/syringe - this new reference line is honored, and my wall has ended up shifted from the original location by an amount equal to the skins outside of the core.

So - great trick!! But, careful with your reference line locations - perhaps marking the ref line position of the walls before the merge so that you can move the rebuilt walls back to where they belong.

Thanks!

Karl

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!