Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Hotlink Manager causes crash.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm editing an old file, which was produced using ver 8.1 and contains a number of hot links. The path to the hotlinked modules may have changed - in any case I get a 'modules not found' error.

However, as soon as I enter the Hotlink Manager, the program crashes. I've tried migrating the modules into the same directory as the .PLN file - but this doesn't help.

I'm using version 11 for this. If I try to open it under ver 12, I get a message that "an error occurred during legacy hotlink conversion."

Any clues how I can rescue the situation?

Keith
Archicad Vers 11 & 12 on Mac 0SX 10.4.8
9 REPLIES 9
Djordje
Ace
First open each of the hotlinks and save them in the new file format. Then try the master file.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
First open each of the hotlinks and save them in the new file format. Then try the master file.
Thanks for that, Djorde. But presumably by the new format you mean Version 12?

I'm still trying to make this work under Version 11. I would have thought that if I resave each of my modules (there are about 30!), the master file still won't "know" where to find them. I can't put them in the original location, as it was a redundant drive on an old network server; short of creating a new partition to mimic that old drive (which I'm reluctant to do). And I can't tell the master file where to find the modules because I can't get into Hotlink Manager.

All a bit 'Catch 22' ...?

Keith

Archicad Versions 11 & 12 on OSX 10.4.8
Thomas Holm
Booster
Try reading this:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=128966#128966
I'm not sure it'll work, but if you turn on Grouping (actually, turn OFF 'Suspend Groups') and select something hotlinked, you can right-click and you'll get a menu with a 'Hotlink Module Settings' option. In the dialog that it brings up, there is a button called 'Choose Hotlink' which hopefully is activated when Archicad can't find the external file.
There is also a 'Break Hotlink' option which will include the currently shown content (it's normally the hotlinked file which is cached) into the master file (not hotlinked to anything external anymore).

Please note, try this on a redundant backup copy first.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas wrote:
Try reading this:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=128966#128966
I'm not sure it'll work, but .....
You're right, Thomas - it didn't! The right-click menu offered 'Update Module', but selecting this option produced no result.

Thanks for the suggestion, anyway.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just had this error message come up on a file that was created in AC10, and I now want to open in AC12.

The weird thing is, it never had any hotlinked modules in it…

Any suggestions please?

Cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable
Joel,

Which error message? BTW: If you haven't already, read the AC-12 Getting Started (under HELP), there is a section on migrating files from 10 to 12.

Mark
Anonymous
Not applicable
Like Keith I get a message that "an error occurred during legacy hotlink conversion."

And yes, I usually don't have a problem with migrating projects, but in this case saving as a .pla with library parts included doesn't make any difference.

Any ideas?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oops,

Sorry for the crazy edit of my own post, but I got distracted and messed up. BTW: this post used to have a pla "read direct from archive" suggestion.

Mark
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mark,

Oddly I had the same random thought and got very enthused and thought it would solve my problem aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand… it made no difference.

Thanks for giving it some thought though

J