Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

SketchUp 7 is out

Eduardo Rolon
sketchup

Now with "BIM" capabilities.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

33 REPLIES 33
Eduardo Rolon
Example Video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwxfOW2TP9E
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
Link to all videos including "Creating Dynamic Components"

videos
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Chazz
Enthusiast
I have seen the future and it is Sketchup pro. This is a pretty huge upgrade and it takes aim squarely at the BIM players.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
Each SketchUp new release makes me think that GS has to pull a big rabbit out off the hat very quickly...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Braza wrote:
Each SketchUp new release makes me think that GS has to pull a big rabbit out off the hat very quickly...
why the jaws hyperlink? am I missing something?
Karl Ottenstein
Jaws aside (??), the info and videos make SU 7 look like quite a big step forward for SU.

The new 'dynamic components' seem to deliver what the ArchiCAD community has wanted for many years: a way of creating dynamic objects without having to be a programmer.

It's kind of a shame for the AC community that the benefits of the new dynamic components are so very similar to GDL Objects, and yet Graphisoft did not 'corner the market' with patents when they might have had a chance. Had GS offered the kind of object-creation interface that Google provides in SU 7, they would be seeing patent revenue that would provide funds to fix many of our other wishes for ArchiCAD. Now Google no doubt has patented their methodology and if Graphisoft wants to provide us with something similar, the flow of funds will be in the other direction...

Cannot really call SU 7 "BIM" yet though IMHO... but it definitely getting smarter.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been a huge sketch-up fan for years and used it more and more until I switched from autocad to archicad. Since then, I have rarely used it at all - I think all Ive done is import one archicad model so that I could create rendered views using the sketchup styles which are better than the archicad sketch rendering.

My question is - for those using archicad, do you use sketchup much, and if so, for what?
Anonymous
Not applicable
the section tools is very amazing!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiMA1IAn8HU

and i hope we can walk up/dpwn the stair in archicad
Dwight
Newcomer
I did not have much respect for or interest in SketchUp until one of my client firms handed me a hi-rise SketchUp model to illustrate in Artlantis. It turns out this application can do way more than turn architecture into a video game.

I am learning it on my laptop in airports for fun and can see it taking over my cartoon presentations all by itself - in conjunction with Artlantis, it has the potential to be the most simple and effective communicator of architectural thought. Most of my personal work is not architecture but rather "public art" so rarely does anything i do turn into a construction document.

My implementation barrier is that I simply know Archicad too well and like anyone earning a living, there's precious little time to experiment with the novel.
Dwight Atkinson