Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Modelling Challenge

Bruce
Expert
I've been presented with a modelling challenge for our latest project, which involves precast panels with multiple facets.

The pattern is a textile, with 600x1200 panels at 10mm, 50mm, 75mm & 100mm (see the image for what I mean).

I'm trying to figure out the best way to model it without going crazy & maintaining an editable model.

Currently we have placed all the panels as individual walls:
Pros - Simple to do, merges in plan with backing wall: Cons - time consuming, too many little elements to edit & place

I've researched making a custom GDL object:
Pros - fast, consistent, only a few objects: Cons - not as much control over plan pens v elevation pens, doesn't merge in plan with backing wall.

I've also tried a Displacement map texture - but that didn't work.

Any bright ideas?

Panel 2.jpg
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
14 REPLIES 14
Dwight
Newcomer
Make each modular panel as a set of slabs on a unique layer [on by itself with nothing else] with the lower left corner of the panel at 0,0. You might like to draw a line as a bounding box.

Save this as an object so that it stands up and becomes a wall panel:

Use the Parallel View tool in the 3D Projection settings to take a side view as if it was the top view. Save in the library [perhaps in a new folder for your new objects] as an Object [editable GDL].

This will become an object that you place in plan.

When you want to edit the object, go back to the unique layer, change the slab parts, resave over the existing object and the edit is complete.

For more on object making without code writing - see Building objects Creation here:

http://www.graphisoft.com/products/archicad/training_guides/
Dwight Atkinson
Bruce
Expert
Thanks for that Dwight - however I did already know that. The image you see was created using that method.

It seems to be pretty good, but for the "cons" listed above.

Cheers
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Karl Ottenstein
I believe that you can get rid of the 'cons' for the object approach by instead creating the negative of the panels and subtracting it from a real wall. (The operator object of course would be on a layer that would normally be hidden.) Each panel can still have a unique material after the subtraction if you use 'material of operator' and your object was assembled from bits that use the desired materials.

The result will be a wall that can have doors/windows placed into it. Because SEOps do not show up in plan (gritting teeth), the wall would look like an ordinary wall in plan, however. You would have to use a 3D Document cut view overlaid on a plan view in order to get the wall jigs and jags to show up.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Bruce,

As I can see the pattern is repetitive...
I guess you could do it with very few GDL statements...
I'd create a window with multiple WALLNICHE for 3d and multiple POLY2_B for 2d...

p.s.: I remember that sometime ago Karl pointed for a good solution to a light fixture inside a wall that maybe can be used in your case...
If I well remember... Karl suggested to save the "cut" forms as a custom object/window and change the walls ID's to "WALLNICHE"...
This would be easier to achieve instead of pure GDL...
Here is the link...
Hope this helps.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Bruce wrote:
... I've researched making a custom GDL object:
... Cons - not as much control over plan pens v elevation pens, ...
Bruce:

The scripted GDL method should give you as many options as you want with the pens: any pens can be used for the 2D and/or the 3D as you desire (with multiple pens used for both), and they can be made parametric, unless I don't understand what you want to achieve with the pen options.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bruce, you posted a nice proble! I spent some funny minutes playing with it!
You have a repetitive pattern.
Make the pattern with slabs.
Save it as an object.
Multiply it both horizontally and vertically.
Draw your wall with any windows you want.
SEO the objects from the wall.
You got it!
You just cannot see the zig-zag line from the subtraction in plan, but you could live with that! 😉
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oops, I just saw Karl proposed the same solution!
Bruce
Expert
Thanks all for your help - some good solutions there.

One of these days I'll get around to teaching myself GDL!

Thanks again
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bruce wrote:
Thanks all for your help - some good solutions there.

One of these days I'll get around to teaching myself GDL!

Thanks again

its a shame that this cant be modeled easy in ARCHIcad.

Archicad - limited architect

This wall can be easly draw with cigraph addon archiwall2 !!!!

Peace of cake !!!!

Thats why i love cigraph products. They r something that archicad MISS a lot !!!

With this addon i will draw this wall in no time without using crapy,skinny,poor archicad 3d modeling operations (if there is modeling operations in archicad)

i hate archicad modeling and thats why this program will always limit architect in creation . . .

Yes man, teach yourself GDL, its so easy Everybody knows it
I do all the time GDL
archiwall2.jpg