Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

wall intersections @ dormer

Anonymous
Not applicable
i have created a dormer but can't find a good way to get the 3 walls to intersect properly. there are only 3 walls and i'm sure you guys have experienced far more complex intersections than this one so hopefully there is a better way.

a screenshot of the problem is attached. i would like to find an optimal solution (so i don't want to just change the side material as this will just leave additional lines in elevations etc) as this is a problem i often come across.

i have a work around (attachment in next post) but it's not ideal. for a start it took a while to set up all the walls and the cutter and it makes editing anything a pain. also, the dormer side wall needs to be the same thickness as the front wall (in reality the walls are different) and finally, the interior of the dormers look a mess.

i must be going about this wrong as dormers, and 3 way intersections in general, are so very common so i'm pretty sure i'm just building them wrong.

TIA for any help
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
and here is my attempt...

creates unnecessary wall 'pieces' and the interior cuts look very messy and need to be covered up = additional time
Anonymous
Not applicable
and a similar issue i had on a different project - again, a relatively simple intersection but whatever i tried required cleanup either in Plan, Elevation or 3D.
Rick Thompson
Expert
It is a tricky situation. I split the wall to get the roof to cut it right. Maybe solid operations would do a better job, but I haven't played with it on a dormer. I do have walls split so I can show them them as needed. A part of a dormer is normally not desired in plan view, but needed for modeling (above the roof). I place those parts (in green) on another layer (exterior misc) that gets turned off for publishing.

One your bottom one... I have a composite that is just the sheathing and siding (1.25"). That is a situation where I would use that.. as well as wrapping all floor slabs.
Picture-4.jpg
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rick wrote:
I split the wall to get the roof to cut it right...

...A part of a dormer is normally not desired in plan view, but needed for modeling (above the roof). I place those parts (in green) on another layer (exterior misc) that gets turned off for publishing.
so i'm going about it in a way that makes sense then. i just thought that there would be a better way to intersect walls that i was missing.
Rick wrote:
One your bottom one... I have a composite that is just the sheathing and siding (1.25"). That is a situation where I would use that.. as well as wrapping all floor slabs.
i use the same way as for the dormers. i normally have external walls wrap around slabs rather than slabs to exterior walls and just have a 'hidden in plan' wall to fill the gap. if i'm lucky the joins won't show in elevations.

is the siding a seperate wall (doesn't this take time?), or is a seperate layer on a composite wall that helps intersection?
Rick Thompson
Expert
If I understand you last question (?).. the siding is part of the wall composite. I draw walls with a 1 1/4" offset to align the core with the floor slab. I then wrap the floor slab with a composite of just siding and sheathing.. 1 1/4". Those lines that appear in elevation are getting better over time with GS working on it, but yeah.. a bad consequence sometimes. Fussing with wall priorities can help.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for your input Rick. i'll have another look at wall priorities