Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

What mouse to use?

Arcadia
Booster
I'm having trouble finding a high quality comfortable laser mouse that has a cord, a nice easy to depress scroll button (without the side to side scrolling) for clicking and dragging and that actually lasts longer than a year. Anyone know of any high quality pro mice made for designers and people that use CAD or 3D software other than the Logitech and Microsoft crap that fills the shelves of my local stores?
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
7 REPLIES 7
Nuge
Advocate
I use a RAZER LACHESIS , its a gaming mouse but that also means it has great precision and response time. its pricy but worth it

Cheers nuge
AC27 i9 11900K / 128G ram / GTX 3090 / D5 Render
Arcadia
Booster
Cool I'll check it out thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Logitech VX Revolution. It is the little brother of MX Revolution, but is much more comfortable. Unless you have big hands, of course! 😉

Microsoft mouses are not good for CAD work! They have a hard to press and easy scroll middle button, while you need exactly the opposite to pan. I had one and returned it in two days!

I recommend also to use a high performance mouse pad. I started using a mouse pad because of my new glass desktop and was amazed by the difference it made. You never know how much a good mousepad accelerates your work until you try it! Best mousepads are the gaming ones. They are more expensive than ordinary mouses though!
Arcadia
Booster
The Razor mice look awesome and next time I think I might get one but as time was of the essence (my old mouse died) and I can't get one locally I just bought a Logitech G9. I was sceptical as I have not been a huge fan of either microsoft or logitech but it is actually pretty good. It has a cord which I think important (more responsive, less hassles with battery life/recharding etc - most gaming mouses have cords), the scroll wheel is good. The scroll button is too hard to press for panning unfortunately (this is the case with most mice I am finding) however because it is programmable I was able to assign one of the thumb buttons this command and after a while getting used to it I find it works well. Nice comfortable fit for my big hands too. Not cheap though.
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you are not committed to a mouse, I found that i love my kensington expert mouse track ball, it has the added benefit of a smaller footprint on my desk than the area a mouse requires
Anonymous
Not applicable
Glass laser mouse (or Glaser mouse) it has the same capability of a laser mouse but can also be used on top of mirror or transparent glass with few problems.
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I find the mouse that I use is great. It clicks. It scrolls. It pans. It's black.
What more could you want?
The technical name for it is "mouse that no-one wanted which came with a lenovo computer we got one time", but I like to call it "Lenny".
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200