Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Template help

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am in the processing of stting up my template and I need help.
I cant figure out where to save my electrical symbols legend so i can pull it up as needed for my elec plans.
THANKS
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
How about a worksheet or a .mod file?
Erich
Contributor
Depending on what you are using for electrical symbols you could also use a schedule to just show what is actually in the drawings.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
What I do is create a section that looks at nothing - Then I name it symbols.
I then place my symbols in it. It comes up in a separate window - I option click on the symbols to start to use them.

Best -

John Ploss
Anonymous
Not applicable
jparchitect wrote:
What I do is create a section that looks at nothing - Then I name it symbols.
I then place my symbols in it. It comes up in a separate window - I option click on the symbols to start to use them.
Hi John,

Why specifically use a section rather than a worksheet? Surely an independent worksheet is designed for disconnected 2d data, and doesn't require an extra marker on the floorplan?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter-

Actually I didn't read the question very carefully. it looks like cougarbrent just wants something to copy and paste on electrical plans. In which case it could be on an unused floor. What I use the sections for is a custom palette with symbols in it. I like the sections because I don't have to move out of the floor plan to access them - it can just be up on my side monitor while I zoom in on my floor plan, etc.. As far as the marker on the floor plan - I put the marker on a different layer that I don't use normally - so I never see it and for all practical purposes in using my template it doesn't exist.
Now I could easily be all wet behind the ears - because I had to look up "worksheet" in the help menu. It sounds like the "worksheet" is the window that the plan comes up in. With my limited understanding I don't know how to bring up two plans at once ( in separate windows). In my template I do have somethings on other floors as noted above - but I don't like leaving my floor plan to get something and then have to come back - often I have the view saved in the navigator but the zoom may be different.
Am I missing something big here ?

John
Scott Bulmer
Booster
As Peter suggested (&IMO), a Worksheet is the best location for object based legends. A nice side benefit is that the legend Worksheet can be used as a Trace Reference for quick parameter pickup of those symbols / objects.
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
Anonymous
Not applicable
jparchitect wrote:
Peter-

Actually I didn't read the question very carefully. it looks like cougarbrent just wants something to copy and paste on electrical plans. In which case it could be on an unused floor. What I use the sections for is a custom palette with symbols in it. I like the sections because I don't have to move out of the floor plan to access them - it can just be up on my side monitor while I zoom in on my floor plan, etc.. As far as the marker on the floor plan - I put the marker on a different layer that I don't use normally - so I never see it and for all practical purposes in using my template it doesn't exist.
Now I could easily be all wet behind the ears - because I had to look up "worksheet" in the help menu. It sounds like the "worksheet" is the window that the plan comes up in. With my limited understanding I don't know how to bring up two plans at once ( in separate windows). In my template I do have somethings on other floors as noted above - but I don't like leaving my floor plan to get something and then have to come back - often I have the view saved in the navigator but the zoom may be different.
Am I missing something big here ?

John
The source of your slight confusion may be that you are still on AC10 where worksheets don't exist yet! Put your version info on your signature like everyone else so we can see this.

The worksheet is a 'new' type of area (view) that you can place 2d data into. This can be automatically extracted from the plan, or it can be completely independent. This and the similar functioning 'detail tool' are meant to replace the practice of having to use dummy floors just to store 2d drawings and information.

Although it is technically a 2d environment, you can still place any 2d or 3d library parts on it for storage or reference which can be useful.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes - I'm on AC10 - sorry for the dinosaur comment.

This new feature sounds most helpful - my old template configuration is obsolete.

Thanks for the info!

Arcadia
Booster
I have an electrical legend set up on a detail sheet just like all my other titleblock stuff. From there I drag it onto the electrical layout then copy and paste it temporarily onto the floor level so I can drag or copy my symbols in from it. Once I've finished addding all the symbols I need I just delete the legend as I place the legend on the layout.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11