Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Creating a lookout with an tapered bottom

Anonymous
Not applicable
This may be simple, but I'm stumped. I'm trying to create exposed lookout beams under a roof overhang that have an angle cut to the underside, so the beam tapers in depth towards the end. How do I do this?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
The old fashioned way is to make the rafters with skinny roofs and then use long roofs at the bottom ends of the rafters with Solid Element Operations to cut the tails.

There are also ways to do this with complex profiles, roof accessories, add-ons or custom parts.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cadimage have produced an object called "tapered rafter" which would do exactly what you want. It's a reasonably old object so should be available to anyone from their Archicad Select website.

Or maybe someone from there could put it in the Depository (wink wink)

(Having trouble accessing their website at the moment, so can't provide a link, sorry)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cadimage Select site here

You may have to register. It used to be that content more than 6 months old was available free, but it seems now that you have to pay a minimum of $10 per month for the most basic membership level in order to download objects via a credit system. That stinks.
http://www.aecbytes.com/tipsandtricks/2008/issue32-archicad.html may be useful.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Erika Epstein
Booster
Instead of trimming using SEO, if you trim one rafter tail using a roof and trim BASE to roof.

An advantage is that copies of this raftertail will retain the trim. Unlike SEO, you don't have to keep the roof you trimmed with in the file.
Disadvantage is that you have to redo should the trim angle change.

Personally think the Custom Profile is a better solution.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
Instead of trimming using SEO, if you trim one rafter tail using a roof and trim BASE to roof.

An advantage is that copies of this raftertail will retain the trim. Unlike SEO, you don't have to keep the roof you trimmed with in the file.
Disadvantage is that you have to redo should the trim angle change.
this is how i do mine all the time.. works a treat
Karl Ottenstein
Erika wrote:
Personally think the Custom Profile is a better solution.
Me too. Much easier to be precise and to alter all rafters subsequently IMHO.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.5, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB