Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Creating a Custom GDL Object

Anonymous
Not applicable
Im not sure I made myself clear before.

I have created a 3D model of a 13amp double socket and saved it as an object. I have then opened the object up and created a 2D symbol for it. Which all works great. The only problem I have is when we have two sockets in the same place, one above the other. In elevation its fine but on plan there are two symbols overlaying each other (which would cause problems for the electrician). Is there a way that I can change the 2D script to give me the option of offsetting the 2D symbol from the 3d model? That way the 3D model stays in the correct place and the plan shows two symbols in different positions.

Many thanks
13 REPLIES 13
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
kmccrthy wrote:
I think it would be great to know how its done, however I would then come across another problem. There will be a situation when we have two different types of sockets one above another.
Could you make the socket type a parameter too? Or is that starting to get too complicated?

If so, perhaps you could make the 2D symbol draggable. Add parameters for an x/y offset and add a draggable hotspot linked to these parameters. Then, if two sockets are aligned, you could drag the 2D symbol of one of the sockets away (which would leave the 3D symbol in the correct position).
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
that would be fantastic, i could then have all the socket incorporated into one object. Trouble is hard would it be for to make something like that?
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
kmccrthy wrote:
that would be fantastic, i could then have all the socket incorporated into one object. Trouble is hard would it be for to make something like that?
That depends on your GDL scripting experience. I think if it was going to be easy, you would already know how to do it.

I suggest adding offset parameters, and display a stretchable hotspot to allow the 2D image to be shifted from the actual position. Take a look at the GDL command hotspot2 and, in particular, the section titled Graphical Editing. Note Example 4: combined length type editing with 2 parameters.

This would enable you to pick up the 2D symbol by a smart hotspot and offset it to a more visible position (leaving the 3D symbol in the correct place).
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds great, unfortunately looking at the GDL information it makes no sense to me as I'm a complete novice at GDL script