Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Door: Frameless, flush, blind hide frame

Anonymous
Not applicable
Trying to make a frameless or blind door. You know, so it looks like its part of the wall, but its a door? We use pivot or european hinges for these things...

Tried making the frame width=0, but that only gives an error message. smallest I can make frame is 1/8".

Found no custom door.

....eureka!

If i make the frame material match the wall material and turn off all the casing, and have the frame thickness the same as the wall thickness, then the frame appears as part of the wall. Thats a lot of buttons to push, just to make it look like there is no frame.

Maybe by release 16, GS will start thinking that the design process is cumulative, and detail gets added as you go, rather than from the start. Bet this would be easy in Revit....
2 REPLIES 2
Karl Ottenstein
Nathan,

What you describe is pretty simple if you just create a custom door. The pain most people experience with custom door creation is creating the frame and casing. Since you only want a door slab and opening, it just amounts to modeling your door panel flat on the ground and saving it as a new object / door.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.5, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
JaredBanks
Mentor
You can also make a frameless door using a standard wood door.
Here’s my solution using D1 entrance 14: frame style 3, frame width = 1/16”, rebate = 1/16”, frame depth = door thickness or wall thickness, wall closure set to brick veneer, rough opening = 0".

I have some more images and details on this blog post http://www.shoegnome.com/2010/09/20/frameless-doors/
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome