BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Help! I can't get the door open!

Anonymous
Not applicable
In placing a door, I have it the opening angle in 2D set to 90 degrees - however the door still appears closed in the plan. I've set it to zero then reseet to 90 - and still no luck.

Does anyone know what's going on?
10 REPLIES 10
Erika Epstein
Booster
Stella,
You need some Basic training. Contact your reseller.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
The 'angle in 3d' is to be found above the 'angle in 2d' setting

Easily missed! Don't worry!!

Edit: Sorry, re-read your post again, you're having problems in 2d only. Are you sure you are adjusting the 'angle in 2D'? Try dragging the purple hotspot(s) on the far edges of the door manually on plan.
door_3d_opening.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've realized that the door closes when I change the option in Floor Plan Display (within the Floor Plan and Section dropdown) to "Projected" or "Projected with Overhead".

This option (Projected) didn't exist in AC9 and I was able to show doors realistically in the plan drawing; I want to show casings, different line weights, etc. to show the character of the door.

The other option within Floor Plan Display is "Symbolic" and this shows a very stripped down diagram of a door - but when this is chosen, the door is open.

So, my goal is to show a door in the plan that is open AND allows me to show details such as casings, etc. Does anyone know how to do this? Or do you know how to get the "Projected" setting to not override the 90 degree door opening on plan?
Anonymous
Not applicable
mc0m wrote:
So, my goal is to show a door in the plan that is open AND allows me to show details such as casings, etc. Does anyone know how to do this? Or do you know how to get the "Projected" setting to not override the 90 degree door opening on plan?
Under 'general settings' change '2D Detail Level' from scale sensitive to a larger scale (1:50 or equivalent).
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Peter - much appreciated.

Maybe my door settings interface is different but I don't see that window?

Mine is pictured below:
doorsetting2.jpg
Thomas Holm
Booster
mc0m wrote:
Or do you know how to get the "Projected" setting to not override the 90 degree door opening on plan?
This is really an issue. The "Projected" settings in AC11 are actually showing in the floor plan a horizontal cut through the door as shown in 3D when rendered by the Internal Engine. This is of course both a problem and a bonus, depending on how you use it and how you want it shown. This is why it follows your settings for 3D despite that it's a 2D view.

I think this in a way shows the direction Archicad's development is taking. As wished by many, the floor plan will become more of a true horizontal cut at the cutplane height. Wished by many, eventually I guess some of today's problems like with SEOs not showing in the floor plan will disappear.

But I do hope they proceed with caution. The 'symbolic' floor plan is a strong means of communication, with deep roots and traditions in the building industry. It's important that its qualities don't get lost in this transition.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
mc0m wrote:
Maybe my door settings interface is different but I don't see that window?
I think you have hidden it under the drop down box! That is where it is on mine.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
mc0m wrote:
Under 'general settings' change '2D Detail Level' from scale sensitive to a larger scale (1:50 or equivalent).
That did it!

Thank you very much!

Edit to add: Yes, your interface is different from mine - but I finally found mine. Maybe it's a mac thing?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas wrote:
mc0m wrote:
Or do you know how to get the "Projected" setting to not override the 90 degree door opening on plan?
This is really an issue. The "Projected" settings in AC11 are actually showing in the floor plan a horizontal cut through the door as shown in 3D when rendered by the Internal Engine. This is of course both a problem and a bonus, depending on how you use it and how you want it shown. This is why it follows your settings for 3D despite that it's a 2D view.

I think this in a way shows the direction Archicad's development is taking. As wished by many, the floor plan will become more of a true horizontal cut at the cutplane height. Wished by many, eventually I guess some of today's problems like with SEOs not showing in the floor plan will disappear.

But I do hope they proceed with caution. The 'symbolic' floor plan is a strong means of communication, with deep roots and traditions in the building industry. It's important that its qualities don't get lost in this transition.
Hear hear!

Maybe it's because I deal with historic structures and I want the character defining features of those structures to read in the floor plan that I go to all the trouble to have the plan drawing actually relate the character of the building I'm drawing.

It also seems to me (maybe because I'm old) that architectural drawings in a traditional format are an art form in and of themselves - and that these nuances in the drawing are critical.
Learn and get certified!