Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Long render time in S/E views - SEO's or CxPrfl's to blame?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having a problem with extremely long render times in section and elevation views (2400 minutes, or hang up at 451). The problems arose in this project after I began adding detail using a lot of SEO's and experimenting with complex profiles. Although I didn't leave any elements with complex profiles in place, there is a lot of SEO in the structure. I basically cut the sub floor under some wall edges and trimmed the odd slab and wall. Could this be the source of my woes? Or did I knock something about playing with complex profiles? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Gabe
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Gabe,
You should edit your profile to include you computer specs. This may help someone pick up on what might be a computer related issue. Doug
Anonymous
Not applicable
Are you getting any error messages or is it just taking a long time?

SEO's can still be problematic if they are taken to an extreme. I use them extensively with only an occasional problem. Complex SEO's on site models are most troublesome in my experience. On the other hand I have a 400,000 sf hospital model in which thousands of lights and ducts are subtracted from hundreds of ceilings and it works fine. It does take a (very) long time to model and render the entire building, especially if the structural layers are on, but there are no errors or problems.

There can be some issues with complex profiles, but nothing major that I have found. In that same hospital model I have the entire structure modeled almost entirely with complex profiles (plus some slabs, walls and roofs) again with no problems.
Djordje
Ace
Probably both.

Complex profiles can add bazillions of polygons. Switch to wireframe and see for yourself.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Erika Epstein
Booster
If you are using 11, Graphisoft has confirmed that SEOs can be problematic slowing down working with SEO'd objects. They are working very hard on a solution.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Thomas Holm
Booster
Matthew wrote:
I have the entire structure modeled almost entirely with complex profile
Matthew, please excuse my curiosity, but what kind of structure needs that? All steel profiles, or what?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Karl Ottenstein
Complex profiles can add bazillions of polygons.
From Help > ArchiCAD 11 Goodies download the Polycount goodie, if you have not done so already. Then, check to see how many polygons are in your model. The goodie will display a list to help you find out where the excess polygons (if any) are coming from.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks everyone for your input. I'll try the Polycount goodie and see what it turns up. It is a joy to get such timely and knowledgeable responses on a forum. Makes me feel that I've made the right decision in joining the Archicad community.

Gabe

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!