BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

zone tool options

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would love to be able to use the zone tool to provide the length and width of the room I place it in. I think this would be very helpful during the design development stage so that when room sizes change in the model, the length and width automatically changes with it.
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Many of us share your desire. Alas we lack access to the internal parameters that would make automatic dimensions possible. Some of us have added dynamic hotspots for a semi-automatic version (really more of a manual assist) but they involve stretching nodes to fit the room, which then must be adjusted when the room changes. Hopefully GS will give us what we need to do this some time.
TomWaltz
Participant
It's a tricky topic because you have to consider L-shaped rooms or curved rooms. You might not always want just the X-length and Y-length.
Tom Waltz
Djordje
Ace
TomWaltz wrote:
It's a tricky topic because you have to consider L-shaped rooms or curved rooms. You might not always want just the X-length and Y-length.
My feelings exactly.

Area is what is the room sold by ... and dimensions say X Y and whatever is in between
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Rakela Raul
Participant
do a search:
there is a zone (by a good samaritan) that gives X and Y dims
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
TomWaltz wrote:
My feelings exactly.

Area is what is the room sold by ... and dimensions say X Y and whatever is in between
All true, but I still find that clients want to see the room dimensions before they ask about area.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chris wrote:
Djordje wrote:
TomWaltz wrote:
My feelings exactly.

All true, but I still find that clients want to see the room dimensions before they ask about area.
I agree that, despite it's limitations, a function like this would be very handy in schematic phase.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rakela wrote:
do a search:
there is a zone (by a good samaritan) that gives X and Y dims
I'm kind of new to this forum so I really do not know how to find this info! Your help would be appreciated
Anonymous
Not applicable
I understand the concerns about odd shaped rooms but more than anything it starts a relationship that can continue on with the changes that are made throughout the design process. It's our job to explain to the client where the measurements are derived from.
Matthew wrote:
Chris wrote:
Djordje wrote:
My feelings exactly.

I agree that, despite it's limitations, a function like this would be very handy in schematic phase.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Djordje,

Is it possible to move this over to the wish list?

Implementation would require no more than for GS to make available a global variable array that identifies the corners of the zone. This would allow GDL programmers to build the function into their zone stamps. I suspect that some enterprising folks might come up with even more clever ideas once this were available.
Learn and get certified!