Licensing
About all sorts of licenses, their management, Graphisoft ID, Graphisoft Store, License Manager Tool, etc.

Importing 3D objects (e.g Maya, 3D max...) into ArchiCAD 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if there is any way I could import 3D objects into ArchiCAD 11? I saw in the Collaboration Interactive Training Module there was an object (ondulated roof) imported to ArchiCAD through the library, how to do such thing? is that the only way to import 3D objects?
Btw I don't mind if the imported object is not editable or if all the parts of the object are merge into a single object...
Oh and what format the file has to be in order to be imported? `

Thanks a lot. Hope someone can help me with this.
regards,
alan
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Alan,

From the Help menu, go to the Goodies web site and download the 3ds In add-on. Best bet for bringing in models from elsewhere where you would like textures to remain intact, and have reasonable smoothing.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Dwight
Newcomer
These elements will then be opened as library objects and will not be editable.

For material re-assignment ease, the discrete parts should be individually imported.

For instance, I use Onyx Tree Pro trees imported as 3Ds. I make separate objects from the foliage and the trunk to make it simple to change material assignments but also to rotate the foliage against the trunk for added tree variety.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:

For material re-assignment ease, the discrete parts should be individually imported.

For instance, I use Onyx Tree Pro trees imported as 3Ds. I make separate objects from the foliage and the trunk to make it simple to change material assignments but also to rotate the foliage against the trunk for added tree variety.
thanks for your reply
I don't mind if these elements can't be editable for materail re-assignment because I do the rendering in Maxwell and Maxwell knows to recognize different parts of the object. However, as you said, it will be useful if I can rotate parts of a tree...

So 3Ds is the best format to import? works with OBJ? when importing the object in the library do I have to do some scripting? 😕 sorry I'm really confused with this.

Cheers,
Alan.
Dwight
Newcomer
There's no guarantee that a 3ds imported into Archicad in the manner we described will be as readable as you want it to be in Maxwell.

3Ds seems to be the best import but Archicad can save OBJ.

Using the import tool as Karl describes will not require scripting. You will ad lib your lines and the audience will still applaud.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Hi Alan,

From the Help menu, go to the Goodies web site and download the 3ds In add-on. Best bet for bringing in models from elsewhere where you would like textures to remain intact, and have reasonable smoothing.

Karl
Oh that looks really useful, I'm going to download it right now and see how it works.

thanks so much

ps: does who are looking for the link: http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/downloads/goodies11/INT.html
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:

i am currently looking at using onyx trees with archicad-how do you make different objects from the output 3ds file?
Dwight
Newcomer
Dwight's Onyx Tree Help:

In Onyx Tree, the lower left corner of the dialog has visibility controls for each growth stage.

For Archicad, make one object with trunk, main branches and perhaps secondary branches together by switching off the other parts.

From the same model, another object: switch to foliage only, making the leaves flat planes.

BTW: For good weed, turn off the stems and seeds.

In Archicad, you float the foliage over the trunk. This allow rotating the foliage separately from the trunk for the appearance of more variety.
Dwight Atkinson