BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

High Res Rendering...NEED HELP!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
A client of my firm would like a high quality rendering to re-produce into a 6' billboard for presentation. I am new to this archicad world and I have no idea as how to approach the rendering engine in Archicad 9,10, or archicad for that matter. From what I can gather, everytime I want to render at a higher resolution of 300+, the overall size my rendering output is shrunk. My questions is, how can I render at a high resolution and yet still keep the specified rendered image size. Is this possible or do I need to take it to a different rendering engine such as 3D Viz, Artlantic...etc. My last question is, can I render my images out into tiff files, Eps...etc without doing a manual save as "tiff, jpg..." after the image had been rendered. Any rendering advice will greatly appreciated.
11 REPLIES 11
Dwight
Newcomer
There are no output devices that require [or can exploit] 300dpi except offset printing - most poster-sized work is 100dpi or less. Inkjet is fine at 150 dpi. Most site billboard artwork is blown up from relatively small images since they are only seen at a great distance.

Just this week i was doing 30x42" Artlantis renderings with 4500 pixels and that was more than enough. The problem with extreme rendering size and resolution is that the the texture maps "break down." They aren't as highly resolved as the base rendering is and begin to look blurry. In our case, the model was too crude and on the large printed surface, our eyes strained to see concrete seams, chamfering and the next level of detail not present. This was at arm's length, not from across the room....

Most rendering software can save as TIFF, but you will almost always need to do adjustments to your images in Photoshop and therefore should save as .PSD.

Archicad or Artlantis or whatever merely make the raw material for a professional illustration.

How sophisticated is the entourage? Large renderings really need detailed figures and foliage to be appealing.

A word of caution: You are jumping in at the deep end. Alligators wait.
Dwight Atkinson
Erika Epstein
Booster
I was going to suggest hiring Dwight!
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Erika wrote:
I was first going to suggest forgetting about the ArchiCAD rendering engines for a high quality, large size rendering.

But Erika is right, you would be better off forgetting about doing it yourself --you will be busy enough figuring out the modeling in ArchiCAD if you are new to the program. The rendering (materials, lighting settings), illustration (camera, composition, entourage, atmosphere), production (computer rendering time), postproduction (Photoshop) problems will be too much if it is a real job and you don't know precisely what you are doing.
Dwight
Newcomer
Erika wrote:
And just to dispel the notion that i do all my professional renderings in LightWorks - I have been known to also work in Cinema 4D when appropriate and also Artlantis, when i am at the bottom of the sea.

But let me tell you right now that CHINA is the place to go for run-of-the mill renderings.
Dwight Atkinson
Djordje
Ace
Dwight wrote:
Erika wrote:
But let me tell you right now that CHINA is the place to go for run-of-the mill renderings.
And let's not forget India ...

... as well as the eastern fringes of the EU.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Dwight wrote:
There are no output devices that require [or can exploit] 300dpi except offset printing
Would that include my 2400 dpi HP designjet 800, printing a 4800 dpi pdf?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Dwight
Newcomer
You are teasing me, aren't you? It is absurd to think that you could actually print a file on paper with 2400 dpi since this is similar to the resolution slide film writers use when making digital slides for gigantic projection. I know you to be a savvy guy and not likely to be taken in by the phlogiston of numbers. Just in case, let me wise you up [and our colleagues who always ask this question in my seminars] as to exactly what is going on.

In this essay I will address two issues: mechanical printer resolution and why the darned inkjet printer has eight colors.

Resolution: When you look at 2400 or 4800 pixels or dots per inch, you are seeing the truth: the machine is capable of making that many dots per inch. But it doesn’t do them side-by-each for supreme sharpness and detail as you might wish, it overlaps them to create smoothness. If your inkjet printer lets you watch the process, you’ll see smooth, saturated color slowly emerge from numerous overlapping printhead passes. This is achieved in two ways: jogging the printhead and squirting a tiny ink droplet. Since the absolute limit of the printhead is 360 dots per inch, each pass of the printhead is jogged a fraction of a dot width prior to its return. This jogging is how they get their big number claim: one jog = 720, 2 jogs = 1440 3 jogs =2880 and 4 jogs = 5600ish. The overlapping dots plus their tiny 2 picolitre size make smooth color gradation. I use the Epson values because I use the Epson Sylus Pro 3800 in my work and it claims higher resolution than HP does.

Now: as to file size: that 360 dpi is actually all four process colors. Each color therefore is only sprayed out at 90 dpi. The rule of thumb in the digital printing business is to oversample by a factor of two, therefore we arrive at an optimal file size of 180dpi. This oversampling gives the rasterizing engine [the printer driver] that processes the digital file into actual printing instructions [when to squirt what color where during a given print head pass] choices in making a smooth surface or a sharp edge. The driver decides how to make the best print.

You can use a lower resolution than 180 dpi and still get reasonable results. Modern prnter drivers have “sharpening” routines contained in them. When a file lacking data arrives, it is processed to emphasize edges. This sharpening disguises the paucity of data in the file. It also disguises the staircasing of pixels that plagued the early days of printing-too-big. A 4800 dpi PDF is absurdly oversampled [but will have extremely sharp-edged text and vectors to the delight of architectural precision obsessives like myself], but specially-designed offset presses and film writers for printing plates can employ them. A good example of high resolution offset printing is the photographic magazine Linhof FotoTeknik that reveals amazing large format depth of color in detail of engraved gunstocks and woodgrain, and the Time-Life Library of Photography that has a special fine screen for printing monochrome images on clay coated paper.

More ink colors: The print head overlapping strategy was developed to increase smoothness in printing, NOT increase sharpness. In the old days, inkjet printers were really good at the darks but not so good fading to white. As the color density dropped below 20%, the dots got spread so far apart that you could see the individual spots of color. At around 10%, you could see an edge where the ink ended so that highlights looked artificially cut out. We all know that even though we work in the RGB color space in Archicad, that four process colors make up every printed image. Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Knockout [black] are the CMYK color mode. Dots of these colors combine to form every color in the universe [or so they would like us to think], limited by the gamut of the colors. A few years ago an offset printing system called Hexachrome promised more vibrant greens with the addition of extra colors but it is now as popular as Home Betamax was and HD-DVD will soon be. If you have ever had a porcelain enamel sign made from a photo, you know that they have their own color separation scheme because frit behaves different than printing ink does.

Anyway, when diluted magenta and cyan ink got added to the inkjet realm, those bridging-to-white situations got smoother [altho is remains a good practice to place a little ink on all surfaces of a printed photo - white just looks like glare - but there is no such thing as white!!!!]. When they added the subtle photographic greys to the ink choices, we could then make rich blacks and monochrome/duotone photos that avoided the harshness of printer’s black.
Dwight Atkinson
Brad Elliott
Booster
Dwight,
Thank you for answering a question that no one else has for the last two years which is why my fancy new umpteen thousand pixel ink jet printer can't print a hairline anywhere near as fine as my very very old 600 dpi laserwriter which wheezes and groans but beats the heck out of that new fangled inkjet.
Mac OS12.6 AC26 USA Silicon
M1 Macbook Pro
Dwight
Newcomer
Swell.

My inkjet has a monochrome setting that is pretty sharp with vectors, but remember to use high quality ink jet paper for best results.
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!