Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Best translator for AutoCRAP users?

drh64
Contributor
Help!
My consultants are screaming that they can't use my AC11 translated .dwg files. What is the fastest, easiest method/setup to get them background files for their use?

THX!
6 REPLIES 6
TomWaltz
Participant
Make yourself a custom translator. If you know just a little about Autocad, most of the settings will make sense. It only takes about 15 minutes to read through the settings and make a few choices.

Two of the most important choices are the Autocad version exploding Archicad elements (otherwise your walls come through as blocks)

Now that said, you could spend hours making something that is custom tailored for a very specific layer naming and pen usage convention. I don't think that's what you're after though.
Tom Waltz
drh64
Contributor
I am just looking for something very simple. They are telling me that the the layers are very difficult to manipulate after getting the .dwg files and the doors do not show up.

I am a former ACAD users (of 24 years!) and just switched to AC. Don't tell Autodesk though....
Anonymous
Not applicable
The trick is to explode complex AC elements. Then everything comes to dwg fine - lines, acrs, polylines...

In AC11 there is a dark side too - wipeout object. If consultants are still screaming, tell them to delete all wipeouts in Autocad.

If they scream louder that they do no know that wipeout is, tell them to read the Help.

I have never met an Autocad user, who knew what a wipeout object is!
Thomas Holm
Booster
For consistent results, start with the Keep Pen Index Number translator, and then customize.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Three more adds :

1. Custom Translator :
Option 1 : create Layers according to Pen Numbers for basic but poor drawings in ACAD : Pen0,50, Pen0,35, Pen0,25, ...
Option 2 (I prefer) : use ArchiCAD Layers and define a seperate layer for doors, windows, etc...

2. Model View Options !!! : create a custom set "export to dwg" to have background fills transparent

3. If your consultants keep on screaming for better streamline, then make different Worksheets for each story, elevation, ... and use the Edit > Reshape > Linework Consolidation / Fill Consolidation tools to clean up lines and fills ! 15 minutes of extra work that can make the world so much brighter
Anonymous
Not applicable
Model View Options