Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Difference between Worksheet and Detail Tool???

Anonymous
Not applicable
In our office we typically do 1/4" floorplans then enlarge certain areas that need to show more detail (ie: kitchens, bathrooms, etc.).

For the enlarged plans, I use the Detail tool or the Worksheet tool, which brings me to my question...

What do you use for enlarged plans?

Is there a difference between the two? Should I use one vs. the other?

Please help as there is dissension in the ranks...
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steven wrote:
In our office we typically do 1/4" floorplans then enlarge certain areas that need to show more detail (ie: kitchens, bathrooms, etc.).

For the enlarged plans, I use the Detail tool or the Worksheet tool, which brings me to my question...

What do you use for enlarged plans?

Is there a difference between the two? Should I use one vs. the other?

Please help as there is dissension in the ranks...
Neither. We have a view set folder for enlarged plans, two enlarged plan layers (one for dimensions, one for notes etc), and layer sets as required to display what we need. Many of our project are fast track commercial with the more detailed information changing until the doors open. Having unlink plans would just create more chaos.

Dave
Djordje
Ace
Dave wrote:

Neither. We have a view set folder for enlarged plans, two enlarged plan layers (one for dimensions, one for notes etc), and layer sets as required to display what we need. Many of our project are fast track commercial with the more detailed information changing until the doors open. Having unlink plans would just create more chaos.

Dave
Ditto.

As it is mostly commercial/industrial, you have a 500m2 office slapped onto a 25000 m2 warehouse or factory - so you need VERY different level of detail.

Would be good if woerksheets were alive ... then there would be a reason for their existence, and a difference fromthe details, which by their very nature should be zombies - dead but alive.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, someone in our office used to work that way as well. It seems like it may be the best option. Is there anyone else out there wanting to put in their two cents?

What is the "Worksheet" tool for anyway?

Do you still use the detail tool for wall sections?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steven wrote:
What is the "Worksheet" tool for anyway?
Do you still use the detail tool for wall sections?
Haven't used Worksheet yet.

Our process is building and wall sections always "live" with fills, lines or patches(rare) over the top if needed.

Detail tool is used for DETAILS referenced off wall, other sections, or plans with 2D enhancements as necessary.

Dave
Karl Ottenstein
I too recommend only live views for all plans - enlarged or not.

Back to the question in the subject: the obnoxious but true answer is that the Worksheet Tool and Detail Tool have (1) different buttons in the tool palette, and (2) different folders in the Navigator.

Since a tool can have its own defaults, you can have different default settings for the Detail tool from the Worksheet tool. For organizing things, some might prefer to put Details in...Detail viewpoints. This leaves Worksheets to be anything you want to have its own 2D view.

For example: if you need to bring in an editable DWG (as opposed to importing onto a layout for reference), bring it into a Worksheet (assuming it is not an external Detail that should be a Detail viewpoint [just for organizational purposes]). In the 'old' days, we would bring in dwg plans into fake stories so that they could be ghosted for tracing/etc. With Trace & Reference, the fake story is not needed since anything can be a trace reference - so Worksheets are a convenient place to put this stuff.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmmmm... this is disappointing that tools aren't being used the way they were designed because they just don't work the way we want them to. I have talked this over in the office and I think we are going to do it as mentioned above. I always thought it was a pain having to change the layout at the floor plan level and then update it through the worksheet/detail tool....

Thanks to all for your responses.
Chazz
Enthusiast
Dave wrote:
Neither. We have a view set folder for enlarged plans, two enlarged plan layers (one for dimensions, one for notes etc), and layer sets as required to display what we need.
Agreed, but you still need a tool to call and link those views on the plan. The detail tool (now that it can link to any drawing) is perfect for this function.

As to the worksheet tool, my thought is: "what were they thinking?" Graphiisoft, you of all entities should live by the gospel you preach: everything live, connected, coordinated, model-linked.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chazz wrote:
Agreed, but you still need a tool to call and link those views on the plan. The detail tool (now that it can link to any drawing) is perfect for this function.

As to the worksheet tool, my thought is: "what were they thinking?" Graphiisoft, you of all entities should live by the gospel you preach: everything live, connected, coordinated, model-linked.
Exactly my thoughts....
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chazz wrote:
I agree, but I'm not sure I follow your 2nd statement. I haven't tried to use it that way. Are you saying that you can use the bubble type detail on the plan, then throwing away to 2D info, and relink it to a live view set on a layout? Or something like that? Ideally, as Djordje hinted, the detail tool would have a check box to keep it live or make it a zombie.

Dave