Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Recommended curriculum for an in-house training workshop?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello –
Can anyone recommend some coursework/video/tutorials to use as the basis for an in-house training workshop to bring non-ArchiCAD users up to speed to be able to work on projects?

We are looking ahead at a possible slow-down in our workload, and we think it’s a good time to re-invest in some training for architects. We think that two or three weeks dedicated to learning ArchiCAD during regular work hours should be enough to learn the basics of AC 12 and then put them on BIM projects with one of our more experienced ArchiCAD users. We think it’s a good use of some possible down-time rather than sending good architects packing.

Some background on our firm: 50-person firm located in the Midwest U.S., all professional staff are architects (i.e. no CAD technicians). We started using ArchiCAD on projects almost 2 years ago. Our transition to BIM has been slow (many reasons… attrition, super-tight schedules, FUD…) but we remain committed to it. There are presently half a dozen architects that can use ArchiCAD on projects and we have a good start on a standard template. Unfortunately, our area doesn’t have regular AC training classes (we’re in Revit country) so we’ve had to be creative in how we bring people up to speed using AC.

Some ideas we’ve thrown around: follow the official Reference Guide; use videos (Virtual Tutor or Interactive Training Guides); pick a real project and just dig in and model it… etc. Thoughts???

Any input and feedback is appreciated.
thanks
tom p.
4 REPLIES 4
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
I always have new staff go through the Interactive Training Guide first -- it's a thorough introduction to AC, and it enables them to learn at their own pace. We then have a day of in-house training -- 1/2 a day on Tips and Techniques, and 1/2 a day on our office template and standards. Then we put them on a project, which is the best way to learn. If they want to practice, I suggest they model their house or a famous building or something to "get their teeth into it."
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
TomWaltz
Participant
Make sure it's as hands-on and task-specific as possible. Long lectures will bore them to death, and teaching a hard-core designer how to draw details won't go over well.

I like to have people build a building in class (or maybe modify one already started) that is similar to the type of projects the company does.
Tom Waltz
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
I've found that, if you're in a firm like mine, and you work for clients for money, it's important to focus on the basics. One of the things that often gets glossed over is that ArchiCAD is a wonderful 2D drafting tool, and many details will still be 2D. If you start with the 3D "fun" stuff, users have a hard time getting back on-task and learning how to draw. I call it Premature CADucation.

Start with 2D lines, arcs, fills, dimensions, and text. Slap their hands if they touch the Curtain Wall tool. It may even be good to create a training template where the 3D object palettes are hidden. Get them to master the editing commands and the pet palettes before moving on. Then show them walls, doors, and windows in 2D only. Only after they master floor plans and details do you let them turn on the 3D window. Space out the excitement, and get them interested in being able to do things that can be done in AutoCAD, but better. Chances are, the floor plans are where you typically make your money, anyway.

You must walk before you can fly, Grasshopper.
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chuck's right on the money!

The resellers focus on the 3D wow-factor selling points exclusively, more-or-less ignoring the 2D fundamentals. If you don't master these first, working in 3D can feel like you're fighting an octopus.

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!