Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

D3 Smart Parts

Anonymous
Not applicable
I recently got the collection of D3 Smartparts and have had mixed feelings about them. One of my issues is with rendering. I want to do an interior rendering of a kitchen with a boatload of cabinets, but when I go to render, the drawer lines and lines between doors on the cabinets disappear.

Can anyone tell me where the magic button is?
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable
I want it to look like this
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not this
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've tried using different rendering engines, options, changing options on the cabinets, all kinds of stuff but nothing changes it.

HELP!
Erich
Contributor
Steven,

The way those cabinets are written, at least the version I have, the doors automatically heal eliminating the line between doors or drawers. At one point I rewrote them to fix this but still had issues. If you would like I can send you a cabinet I wrote that addresses the issue you are having as well as some other aspects that bothered me. The only problem is you would need to rebuilt that cabinetry - it is not a direct switch.

PM me if you are interested.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Barry Kelly
From memory there is a Registry switch (sorry I am a Windows user but there is something similar in Mac) or a Special menu item that can show the lines in GDL objects where prisms with the same materials join.

I am sure I am not imaginging this.

There have been posting on this topic before but no time to search just at the moment.
I think it may have been mentioned there.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
Here is the previous post I was thinking of.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=11404

There is a GDL solution - basically drawing the 3d object as a wire frame and then again as a solid.

The registry (plist) solution at the end of the post didn't seem to make a difference for me.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
There is a GDL solution - basically drawing the 3d object as a wire frame and then again as a solid.

The registry (plist) solution at the end of the post didn't seem to make a difference for me.

Barry.
Barry,

Is there an easily explained solution for those who know nothing about GDL (me)?
Barry Kelly
You would need to know what you are doing for the GDL solution so if you know nothing about GDL it would be confusing.
I would imagine the D3 Smart Parts aren't all that simple in their scripting.
I don't have them so I have no idea how complex they are.

Do they have an option for a gap between the doors?
I have this in my cabinet parts and it works like a charm (these are custom parts though).

The problem is because the prisms for the doors are touching and as they are the same material they blend together.
It is an annoying problem even if you know GDL as I have some objects that are affected by this and others that aren't.
So there is a bit more to it than touching prisms with the same material.
But I haven't figured it out yet.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Barry wrote:
/......
I would imagine the D3 Smart Parts aren't all that simple in their scripting.
I don't have them so I have no idea how complex they are.
/.....
Steven, to add to Barry's comments.
If their scripts are locked then there is nothing you can do
except ask the maker to help fix your problem.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |