Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

GDL Object error message: "Numeric type expression required

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have an object I made a while back and have never had problems with it, now all of a sudden I'm getting the error message:

"Numeric type expression required at line 4 in the 3D script of file Shelf_16in.gsm"

Does anyone know what this error is, why its occurring and what I can do to fix it?

Here's a screenshot of the 3D script:

18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable
Why do you think the color # is the issue here?

What does the color # have to do with a "Numeric type expression required at line 4 in the 3D script "?

It's just the same kind of error you get if you put a text value parameter in place of a parameter that needs a numeric value!
So i kind of assumed it would have something to do with the 'missing' part of the missing material! (Plus I hadn't had my morning coffee yet so i was a little blurry!)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Kristian wrote:
Why do you think the color # is the issue here?

What does the color # have to do with a "Numeric type expression required at line 4 in the 3D script "?

It's just the same kind of error you get if you put a text value parameter in place of a parameter that needs a numeric value!
So i kind of assumed it would have something to do with the 'missing' part of the missing material! (Plus I hadn't had my morning coffee yet so i was a little blurry!)

Thanks for your help. got any other ideas or suggestions?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmmm the only other thing I can suggest is to comment out the cprism_ part of the script and try it with a simple prism_. Use the same values as your cprism_, except for the material codes. Just to see if the same error occurs!
If it does it should be the same error warning on a new line.

It is kind of odd that I cant replicate the issue here though! It's a simple clean script!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Kristian wrote:
Hmmm the only other thing I can suggest is to comment out the cprism_ part of the script and try it with a simple prism_. Use the same values as your cprism_, except for the material codes. Just to see if the same error occurs!
If it does it should be the same error warning on a new line.

It is kind of odd that I cant replicate the issue here though! It's a simple clean script!
What's odd is I have been using this object for well over a year and never had this problem.

I just opened up another pln file and the object works fine there, no errors.

So its somehow tied to the pln file I'm currently working in.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Since it appears to be some random error generated by who knows what and the fact that it works fine in all my other pln files, I gave up and just turned off the error messages.

If anyone can suggest a solution to this problem, it would be great to know what the heck happened and how I can fix it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
You have a Macro call statement in the Parameter Script.
CALL "Parameters Template" PARAMETERS ALL

Could it be the problem?
The macro is missing, but this doesn't seem to affect the object.
Neutralize this statement and see what happens. Just a guess.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sometimes I have had strange glitches in the code producing errors where none should be. Cutting and pasting the text back into the script sometimes fixes it. Other times I have to delete and retype it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Olivier wrote:
You have a Macro call statement in the Parameter Script.
CALL "Parameters Template" PARAMETERS ALL

Could it be the problem?
The macro is missing, but this doesn't seem to affect the object.
Neutralize this statement and see what happens. Just a guess.
i didn't attach the Parameters Template in the zip file, so that is why its not working on your end.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've tried to think of what I have done with this file since the error started happening and the only thing I can think of that might have triggered this is transfering the file back and forth from pc to pc.

I have a portable hard drive that I save this file, all my object libraries, photos, etc that need to be loaded into the library manager. This is a duplicate of what is on my desktop hard drive.

Sometimes I work from coffee shops, etc, so I save the pln file I want to work on to the portable hard drive so I can work from my laptop

When I come back in the evening, I save the changed laptop pln file back to my desktop so everything is current and in synch

Can anyone think of anything I'm doing in this process that could be causing the problem?