Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Fix the most anoying thing in AC (Save as path)

Lot of people write about the AC icons change between versions - but the icons are less annoying than NOT REMEMBERING FILE PATH on "save as" command...
Why the heck?...all other software I use does remember the path - AC is only one that does not.

So do we need the remembering path of the file by AC?

Best Regards,
Piotr

EDIT: it is PC and MAC issue (I checked with my friend)

IMPORTANT. AC does not remember the path of file opened by double-clik, it does of course when opened from "Open" command - but who opens files that stupid way...
15 REPLIES 15
Matthew wrote:
I don't think it is just a GS issue as it has worked better and worse with OS 9, OS 10, NT, XP, etc. There was a time on the Mac when ArchiCAD would remember file paths for each file type (2D or 3D).
On the contrary - I think it IS GS issue - as it is almost only software I use that behaves that way, both platforms.
I hope in next versions GS will implement the new Win-OS save dialog where tha path can be purely pasted among other things.(now uses the plain old win2000/xp dialog)

Best Regards,
Piotr
Anonymous
Not applicable
Piotr wrote:
Matthew wrote:
I don't think it is just a GS issue as it has worked better and worse with OS 9, OS 10, NT, XP, etc. There was a time on the Mac when ArchiCAD would remember file paths for each file type (2D or 3D).
On the contrary - I think it IS GS issue - as it is almost only software I use that behaves that way, both platforms.
I hope in next versions GS will implement the new Win-OS save dialog where tha path can be purely pasted among other things.(now uses the plain old win2000/xp dialog)

Best Regards,
Piotr
I'm not so sure about this. I find AutoCAD and Revit to be quite flaky in this regard. Also I've been stuck using Vista 64 lately (waiting for my full version of Win7 due to complexities with upgrading a VM) and what a mess that is. There seem to be dozens of variations in features and behaviors in the open/save/explore dialogs.

I agree that GS could do better but I'm not so sure their competition is leading on this and from what I've seen it must be quite a pain for the programmers to stay on top of the Windows variants (Mac seems much more stable).
Anonymous
Not applicable
BTW; I did vote "Important" as I would love to see a return to the old days when each file type remembered its path, and I am annoyed by the revert to Photoshop default in 3D.

Keep in mind also that you can set up detailed and explicit file paths using Publisher for all the file types it supports (if only this included all file types that can be saved, such as Navis, IFC, etc...)
Chazz
Enthusiast
Dwight wrote:
I know it's no substitute for a built-in solution to the problem, but here's a solution (for MicMac users) that helps:

Default Folder

It has many uses but mostly tracks recent and just used folders.
I would say that it is not just a substitute but a huge upgrade to the functionality of the OS. Default Folder is an essential tool for anyone who uses a Mac for more than a few hours a week. Once you use it you cannot go back. The developer is also very helpful and a nice guy. Buy it.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
NOT REMEMBERING FILE PATH on "save as" command...

Important Topic.
I'm very happy that I found this Forum and that someone else has the same problem that I have for years now.
I have already spent hours by looking for Fils that were saved in the wrong Path.
And it IS ONLY a ArchiCAD-Problem. The "Save-Button" works but the "save as" Menu is likely to cange the filepath.

P L E A S E - F I X - I T
finally
Anonymous
Not applicable
I voted essential for this, because it causes lost work, hours of rework, or at the very least the frustration of needing to scan the entire Projects hard drive for the 'lost' PLN file.
Some scenarios:
1) Use saveas, work on a project for a whole day, unaware that the file being updated is being saved in a completely random location. The next day, go to open the file in its expected location and find it's missing. Assume the work is lost, and re-do it (unnecessarily).
2) Or, same as previous, only the next day you don't notice that the file is the old one, and you start doing new work on it. Eventually you realise you now have new work split across two PLN files.
3) Discover that the saveas location was on a client's memory stick, intended for PDFs but not the whole PLN..... and that memory stick has now been posted back to the client. (!!)