Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AC10Int987 on Mactel 10.4.9 with unrecognised fonts

alexliz
Participant
It's all in the title, people. Just replaced my Powerbook G4 (beautiful but died suddenly, RIP) with the 2.4 MacBook Pro, and installed the build987 of AC10. Unfortunately, it doesn't see most fonts from /System/Library/Fonts or /Library/Fonts.

For example, I've got Arial, Gentium, Verdana. I've used them in projects, so many text blocks need them. When I open those projects on my current install of AC10, they show up in some other font (really ugly, almost Autocad style), and if I select them, their info box shows e.g. [Verdana] or [Arial]. Notice the square brackets.

This is not normal behavior. Any advice? Thanks very much, people, as always.

PS As I post this, I'm waiting for the 1186 hotfix to download and install. I'll post back here with the results in the new build.
Alex Zachopoulos

MacBook Pro 17" 2.4GHz, MacOS X 10.5.6, ArchiCAD 11 & 12, WinXP, Vista (well, not really Vista...)
3 REPLIES 3
alexliz
Participant
I've installed the 1187 hotfix and the problem persists.
You can see what fonts are available for my text blocks in the attached file.

PS I've got 257 installed fonts, all accessible from all apps except ArchiCAD. Even OpenOffice 2.2 running in X11 sees the fonts. My previous Powerbook G4, like I state above, was absolutely fine.
Alex Zachopoulos

MacBook Pro 17" 2.4GHz, MacOS X 10.5.6, ArchiCAD 11 & 12, WinXP, Vista (well, not really Vista...)
__archiben
Booster
are you using the MACTEL archicad installation or your old PPC archicad installation? the PPC version is unsupported on intel macs and could be causing problems like this. you can get a mactel installation disk from your reseller . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
alexliz
Participant
No, it's all worked out in the end. I am using the proper version for the Mactel. But...

Running the US version of OS X, which doesn't have a non-Unicode greek keyboard layout, and ArchiCAD _still_ not being 100% Unicode, is a recipe for disaster.

To compound things, XGreek.dmg is not available anymore at www.vodkatini.gr (the site is not up anymore), Hello Mac OS! although giving greek menus for the Finder and apps it doesn't provide a non-Unicode greek keyboard, so if you have greek fonts they just won't be seen in ArchiCAD, until you install XGreek (that is, if you can still find it).

Fortunately I had saved it locally and installed it. Problem solved.

I just wish that ArchiCAD would become 100% Unicode. Don't know if v11 is. I have it but haven't tried it yet. I also wish that Apple would support Greek a little bit better, to cover all bases. Finally, I wish that the guys from vodkatini.gr who had developed XGreek would carry on their work, or else include it in the current Hello Mac OS! product. After all, from what I understand, they are essentially the same team of enthusiasts.

Thanks for the post, archiben.
Alex Zachopoulos

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!