Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Does 3D boolean take more resourses than 3 objects

Anonymous
Not applicable
I put in a 3d locker object and then booleaned out a section instead of putting 3 seperate objects in. If we are just working in the floor plan and interior elevations and no 3D views, does archicad have to work harder and longer to redraw or update plans and interior elevations with boolean operations or 3 objects instead of 1 + boolean?

I'm having a discussion with someone,
Thanks,
Michele
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Definitively, Yes.

SEO is a killer for 3D calculation time. Not a problem for a single or few objects, but significant for several objects using SEOs.
I did wrote a roof accessory using roof tiles, in which each tile used a SEO. My first concern was the low Polycount (20) of each tile.
It worked fine for thousands of tiles (that means thousand of SEOs), but 3D calculation time was a bit slow.

After a thread with Ignacio on this forum last summer, i realised how much SEOs can dramatically slow down speed.
I decided to change the SEO tile object for another one without SEO. Polycount is higher (98 ), but 3D calculation is really faster (8 x).

If your concern is speed, try to avoid SEOs, and model your parts with current tools (AC or GDL). They will always generate faster.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

What´s SEO? I don´t understand. My "mater" language isn´t english...

Thanks.
Dwight
Newcomer
SEO = Solid Element Operation = Boolean [more-or-less]
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks.