Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Elevation and section

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying for the first time to make an elevation/section with colors. I have a frame with a custom picture (.tif) that is also a part of the elevation. I can't see the picture, only the frame.
Can someone help me, please?
9 REPLIES 9
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Is it possible that the Picture is behind the model? Try to use the Bring to Front command in the Edit\Display Order menu.
Or is it that the picture does not get displayed at all?
You could try saving in another format (such as PNG) and use that.
If that does not solve it, please post am image of the problem.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Dwight
Newcomer
What rendering method are you using?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Is it possible that the Picture is behind the model? Try to use the Bring to Front command in the Edit\Display Order menu.
I removed the frame with the picture, and replaced it with a thin wall. On the wall I put the same picture (as a texture in a material). The material was at all sides of the wall, to be sure. I use the Internal engine. I think I also tried the lightworks engine, and the material was also set to 'match the internal engine'. But, no success. But, I can try to find a picture on another format, like jpg, if that's OK. I do not have any PND's for the time beeing.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Could you post an image? Just to clear things up.
At first I thought you are in and Elevation Viewpoint but now it seems you are in the 3D Window.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anne wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:
I removed the frame with the picture, and replaced it with a thin wall. On the wall I put the same picture (as a texture in a material). The material was at all sides of the wall, to be sure. I use the Internal engine. I think I also tried the lightworks engine, and the material was also set to 'match the internal engine'. But, no success. But, I can try to find a picture on another format, like jpg, if that's OK. I do not have any PND's for the time beeing.

I've tried to replace the .tif with an .pnd. The rendering method is the Internal Engine. Only the surface color of the material is displayed, not the texture. I tried to add to attatchments to this message, but I'm bale to save ony ine. Is that correct?
Elevation.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anne,

Images and textures do not show up using the elevation or section tools. They are flat shaded only. (Neither do they show up using the internal engine! OpenGL only, i'm afraid.)

A workaround could be to use the Drawing or Figure tool to place the image in the sect/elev itself (2d only) and resize it to fit the pictureframe (which I assume is modelled in 3d.)

To get a true image of the elevation with full textures, you would first need to set the 3d window to axonometric mode using the 'side view' option, then render it using the lightworks engine. Do note this wouldn't necessarily be to scale, as it is just a raster image.

Hope that helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried to make a figure with the picture. And then I tried to put it on the elevation-view. But the figure comes below and not on top of the elevation view. I try to right-click the figure, to see if there is some 'Display Order'-possibility, but no. Maybe I misunderstood your 'cure' ?

By the way. In AC12 the textures shows when I use the Internal Engine and click the 3d-view button.
FigureAtElevation.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anne wrote:
I tried to make a figure with the picture. And then I tried to put it on the elevation-view. But the figure comes below and not on top of the elevation view. I try to right-click the figure, to see if there is some 'Display Order'-possibility, but no. Maybe I misunderstood your 'cure' ?

By the way. In AC12 the textures shows when I use the Internal Engine and click the 3d-view button.
You can control the display order on the right-click menu. Select the image and look again! You may have to bring forward several times for it to be visible in front of the model.

Also check what you mean by 'textures' and 'internal engine'. The internal engine refers to the alternative engine which you can select in the '3D window settings' dialog. This cannot not display images of materials in any version of AC. It will display material hatches/fills that can be assigned to each material. This is called 'vectorial 3D hatching' and is available for both the 3d window (int engine) and 2d elevations. This is probably what you are seeing.

Keep going, you're nearly there!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Also -

Looking at your image above again, it seems you have pasted the image in from the floorplan. You will need to click outside of the image after pasting in the elevation to 'confirm'. This gets rid of the marquee that surrounds any newly pasted object.

Now you can select the image properly using the arrow key and bring up the right-click menu to find the display order!