Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Saving embedded object to library buggy

Rick Thompson
Expert
i think this is yet another StairMaker/Embedded library bug, but anyone know a work around?

If I take a newly created stair, which is auto saved to the Embedded library, and then select it and save to a folder in "MyLibrary" it want reload for further use. It is in that folder as per Finder (Mac menu). so it's there, but will not show as available in the library after reloading... or in another pln, (reloaded library) which is where I want to use it, and a few others that are missing in action. All the stairs I have make in AC13 and saved to my library for further use are there in the library, but not accessible in the Stair Object menu. I'm not getting along very well with this new feature.

The only work around I have found is to copy/paste that stair from another pln into the new Embedded library.

thanks
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
11 REPLIES 11
Erika Epstein
Booster
Rick,
In the project A where you created the stair, open the library manager. In the embedded library select the stair a and click on the export button. You can navigate to a folder, or create on new one on the fly, to place it in.

In the project B where you want to use it open the library manager either browse for embedded library object or click the big ADD button, navigate to that folder you made and your stair should now load correctly.

HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Rick Thompson
Expert
Thanks Erika, the method I used was from the beta forum (GS to me as per my question.. unless I am remembering wrong), so I would think it should work. It's weird that the stair did save into the correct folder.. it is there.. but it is not showing up in the stair tools view of the same folder. I'll try your suggestion tomorrow. This is way to involved for what was a no brainer. I typically make a stair, and keep it in my standard stair folder so I can use it in other plns. I don't know??? I was technically exporting it to the library sub folder, but via a different menu (save library object).

o'well.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Erika Epstein
Booster
hmmm, and I thought the method I was using was as directed during the beta
good luck tomorrow
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Rick,

The handling of stairs did change between the beta and the final version, so it's entirely possible that they work differently now. The point is, Stairs must be in the embedded library to work properly, so the correct way to re-use a stair in another project is to export it, and then import it into the other file's embedded library the way Erika described. This is also documented here:
http://archicadwiki.com/Teamwork/ManageLibrary
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Rick Thompson
Expert
Thanks for the explanation Gergely. I do hope an alternative will be looked at. I believe in beta we could save a stair to our linked library. That was very important for me, and no doubt to many other users. I need to access my "stock" stairs easily without having to remember what pln I made a stair for to go find it. That would be ridiculous to manage. I keep over 300 plns active and alive, meaning I constantly update them with new AC advancements... ie, replace an old stair with a new one just like it, but enhanced.

At one point Stairmaker stopped allowing editing of pre-dated stairs, which I understand that need. However, now as I want to replace a standard stair, I can no longer simply browse the tool and place a stair. I need to export/import to do so, a waste of time, and a pain. I guess I will have to open those plns (which want be easy to figure out) I made stairs in under AC13, and export those to an external separate folder for importing, or cearte a separate pln just to keep stairs that I can open and copy/paste... uggg.

I really hope you can bring back the ability to keep created stairs and objects in our custom linked library... not limited to an embedded one. I am fine if once placed that object/stair is embedded, but I need easy fast access for many common stair configurations.

thanks

ps.. it sure would be a great time saver if we could store our user preferences for all the many pen/fill/fonts/etc we need to select every time we build a stair. That would save a lot of time making a stair.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Karl Ottenstein
I'm going to move this thread to the Library forum, so that perhaps Zolt will answer, too...

This behavior seems quite strange, as a library part is a library part is a library part... and it should not matter where it is loaded from - embedded, local or server. If it does matter, than GS needs to explain what makes it matter so that library developers can understand this...

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.5, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Durval
Booster
I'm working on a condo project, which has hotlinked modules of different houses, but all of them use the same stairs. Result: lots of "ambiguous origin" warnings that I cannot remove, because the same stairs reside in different embedded libraries. I hope these warnings don't bring any trouble...
--- www.dtabach.com.br ---
AC 24 BR – MacBook Pro 2,9 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB RAM Mac OS 10.14
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think if it is the exact same Stair there should not be trouble.
Only problem is if you modify that Stair. Then ArchiCAD will not know which version it should be using.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Durval
Booster
laszlonagy wrote:
I think if it is the exact same Stair there should not be trouble.
Only problem is if you modify that Stair. Then ArchiCAD will not know which version it should be using.
I will have to copy the modified stair and paste it in each and every house, right?
--- www.dtabach.com.br ---
AC 24 BR – MacBook Pro 2,9 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB RAM Mac OS 10.14