BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Using SYMB_POS_X

Anonymous
Not applicable
So if in the parameters script I have:
n = REQUEST("SYMB_POS_X", xorgn)
Shouldnt the object get it's origin in the X axis relative to the model origin and place that numeric value in the parameter "xorgn"?

I've been playing around with this global and havent had much sucess.
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sean,

You don't need the Request function.

SYMB_POS_X is the global that contains the value you are looking for.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought so, however, when I use it in conjunction with a print command in the 2D script, I keep getting a return of 0.

You would think that I could create a length parameter and assign that global value to it like so:
PARAMETERS x1 = SYMB_POS_X
but for some reason I always get null values even when in plan.

Basically I want the object (in this case a beam) to report the coordinates in plan view of each corner.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Sean wrote:
I thought so, however, when I use it in conjunction with a print command in the 2D script, I keep getting a return of 0.
Try the following test in the 2D script:
TEXT2 0, 0, SYMB_POS_X
Sean wrote:
You would think that I could create a length parameter and assign that global value to it like so:
but for some reason I always get null values even when in plan.
Using the PARAMETERS statement alone doesn't set the value of the variable. Try the following:
x1 = SYMB_POS_X
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Interesting.......

mark1 = STR("%0.16ffi",SYMB_POS_X)
mark2 = STR("%0.16ffi",SYMB_POS_Y)
mark = mark1 + "," + mark2
xorgnstr = mark1
yorgnstr = mark2
This at least created the text in the plan view but it still does not place this information in the text parameters (xorgnstr, yorgnstr). I've done different things in the master, 2D and parameter scripts to no avail.
It's a bug. X~, Y~, and Z~ (SYMB_POS_X, _Y, _Z) all return zero in any context except the 2D and 3D window. That means, no reaction in the settings dialog, and no Listing X,Y positions of objects. They're 'working on it'.

I was trying to get my tree objects to list their locations with respect to a grid... works perfectly, except for those pesky zeroes! Waiting for the fix.

(Thanks to F. Beister who clued me in when I asked the same thing on GDL Talk last month.)
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Anonymous
Not applicable
James wrote:
It's a bug. X~, Y~, and Z~ (SYMB_POS_X, _Y, _Z) all return zero in any context except the 2D and 3D window. That means, no reaction in the settings dialog, and no Listing X,Y positions of objects. They're 'working on it'.
BAH! That figures.
Anonymous
Not applicable
No, it's not a bug!
It's the feature

The way it works: create component, which contains SYMB_POS_X and then get it by lister
Anonymous
Not applicable
Skywalker wrote:
No, it's not a bug!
It's the feature

The way it works: create component, which contains SYMB_POS_X and then get it by lister
"Luke"
I'm so frustrated in trying to get symbol positions to report in interactive schedules that I can't tell if your comment "..It's the feature..." is serious or sarcasm.

If it is serious, can you please explain a little more in detail how it works?

thanks,
Dan K
Stuart Smith
Booster
5 years later and this is still a bug. Ugh.

Trying to write a simple library part to send X,Y coordinates to a schedule.
I can get the coordinates to show up in plan view, but not in the schedule.

Has anybody discovered a work-around?
v26 3010 USA
MacOS 12.6
AC user since 8.1
Learn and get certified!