BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Speed?

KeesW
Advocate
Someone wrote about 64 bit AC13 being hugely faster than 32 bit AC12 or AC13. Is this true and has anybody tested this?

I know that the real speed happens in the mind (paraphrased David Shorter!) but it would be nice to know if our computers can be fast enough to keep up with our brain.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Keesw,
great topic!!
I have just bought a good machine, quad core, XP64(purely for the release of v13) 6gb of ram, & the speed difference between this computer & a similar computer but 32bit is not noticeable.
I was speaking with my local ArchiCAD reseller today & the only true benefits are for bigger (>4gb) projects. which are huge files!!! ie teamwork skyscrapers!
dont let the new marketing ploy fool you!
I have found xp64 is so limited in terms of drivers, applications etc (I cant even run itunes!!!!) that I have in fact found it more of a hindrance. I will be getting Windows 7 (64bit) asap.
Interested to hear others experiences with not only v13 on xp64. but xp64 in general.
also what / how window 7 is handling ArchiCAD 13.
andrewzarb
Booster
I must admit that my experience with XP64 is limited but I found that drivers were widely missing. My experience with Vista 64 was much more successful and l have been using Windows7 64 Pre release for a few months and couldn't be happier. Of course I can't vouch for in the availability of drivers for your equipment.
Learn and get certified!