BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Custom GDL objects for FREE

Anonymous
Not applicable
Each month Master Script will make a customized ArchiCAD object completely free of charge! You can send in your request and each month one of them will be developed by Master Script.
The ArchiCAD object will be available on the website http://www.masterscript.nl and it will be posted on the Object-Depository of Archi-Talk.

Send your request via the contact form (http://www.masterscript.nl/9403/index.html). State clearly what the object should do and how the representation should be in different views.
Leave your e-mail address for any communications about the object.
102 REPLIES 102
Anonymous
Not applicable
It will cost a lot of time to start from scratch and since the December holidays are coming up, I will modify the existing railing object (without macros).
If the other railing objects are set up the same way I will modify them too.

Lec1212, I invite you to post another wish
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have decided not to continue editing the existing GS object. It could not do what I wanted, so I started my own object. Here is the first version (it is not perfect yet).

I hope it is self-explaining, but I want to explain the custom-parts. You can load custom components in this railing as Handrail, Strips, Extrude element and Baluster. Create a slab with the desired shape and use File/Libraries and Objects/Save Custom Component and select 'Custom Object Component'. You will need to load the regular ArchiCAD Library with this object to obtain this feature.
Then you can select this in the railing. There are offset options (with hotspots) to align your custom component.

Please test it and let my know your findings.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Example
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Looks great! My testing time is limited until the new year, but I hope to get a chance to look it over. Thanks MS.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Nuge
Advocate
Just had a quick play and its just what i need, BUT can it be curved on plan and sloped in elevation ? then it would be perfect.

Regards John
AC27 i9 11900K / 128G ram / GTX 3090 / D5 Render
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have uploaded the finished Railing object here.

Since there where no submissions in December for a completely free custom GDL object, I will work on a little project of mine 'label anything', which will be posted at the end of this month.

Please post your wishes here.
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Master, I just got a chance to give the railing a test for the first time. What a nice Christmas present. Very appreciated.

I have some comments about part names from my North American perspective, and some questions. Let me know if you want me to post those here or contact you privately.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Master, here are my comments on the Railing object. I invite any others to join this discussion as well. Please note that my comments are based on my North American experience.

Naming of Parts
• Handrail: OK
• Baluster: should be Post
• Vertical Strip: should be Baluster
• Horizontal Strip: should be Rail

Parameters
• Start first baluster: should be "Rail end to first Post"
• Maximum end baluster: what does this parameter do?
• Dimension 1, Dimension 2: could be more descriptive, e.g. "Handrail height", "Handrail Width", etc.
• Top handrail: what does this parameter do? (The height seems to be controlled solely by the "t" parameter.)
• Use own handrail/baluster/strip: should read "Use custom Handrail", etc.
• Bottomheight strip: should be "Bottom Rail height", same for top Rail.

Questions
• How can I show both the Handrail and Posts in plan view?
• How did you produce the example with multiple horizontal rails as shown in the screen shot?

I realize that many of these are simple localization issues. I would be happy to assist in that effort. It's the least I can offer in return for your welcome contribution.
H Rails.png
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Geoff,

-Naming issues are noted.
-'Maximum end baluster' is the same as 'Start First Baluster', after this point no strips will be drawn.
-The 'Top handrail' should modify the top in case of a custom handrail. I will fix it.
-For full top view in the floorplan choose 'Floor plan display' 'projected'
-The screenshot is made with 'Railing type' set to 'Extruded element'. Then under 'Extrude' a custom profile is chosen (using the same way as a custom handrail)

thanks for the return offer, but I'd rather see a nice screenshot of a project of yours using my objects.

I will try to modify the object as soon as possible.
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Thanks for your attention to these matters.
Master wrote:
The screenshot is made with 'Railing type' set to 'Extruded element'. Then under 'Extrude' a custom profile is chosen (using the same way as a custom handrail)
OK, makes sense. But it would be nice to have this capability out of the box, at least for rectangular rails. Then we could do everything from your example to cable rails without any custom parts. The top and bottom rails could be set as now, with the Intermediate Rails or Bars set by rule, as the per the balusters.

BTW, do you have a name, other than Master of the Script that is?
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Learn and get certified!