Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

how to do irregular walls??

Mauro Correia
Participant
hi, i am working in a project based in irregular walls, with sharp edges in different points, in other words, a wall that is not vertical but without the same declination in all the extention, is like a crumpled paper. How can i do that?? (like in the attachement)
10 REPLIES 10
Erika Epstein
Booster
For a start, set your walls to slanted
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Mauro Correia
Participant
Erika wrote:
For a start, set your walls to slanted
well, i made that image, and if you pay attention, those walls have a realy conplicated geometry, with slanted walls is impossible, i think, because it have many different conetions in many differente levels, and it makes it impossible. The only way i know is making it like an object, but then it have the properties of an object and not from a wall and more than that is impossible to add a window... I work with Archicad since 4 years, and i think that this is something that Archicad simply can´t do.
Erika Epstein
Booster
I did pay attention.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Mauro Correia
Participant
Erika wrote:
I did pay attention.
ok, sorry if i was rude. So what you suggest??
Anonymous
Not applicable
Draw the overall shape with a mesh, then use the mesh-to-roof add-on.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was going to suggest building a negative version of the walls with a mesh, rotating the mesh up by viewing it from the side (which will become the top) and saving as a library part, then SEOing it away from a very thick wall, then hide the mesh by putting it on a hidden layer. Unfortunately, whatever method you use the plan view will still be incorrect.
Mauro Correia
Participant
Peter wrote:
I was going to suggest building a negative version of the walls with a mesh, rotating the mesh up by viewing it from the side (which will become the top) and saving as a library part, then SEOing it away from a very thick wall, then hide the mesh by putting it on a hidden layer. Unfortunately, whatever method you use the plan view will still be incorrect.
thanks for the post.
is it possible to rotate the mesh that way?? I think is not possible.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mauro wrote:
thanks for the post.
is it possible to rotate the mesh that way?? I think is not possible.
It is possible, but as I said you have to save the mesh as an object (a library part). You can't edit the mesh once it is saved as an object, so if you want to make a change you will have to edit the original mesh, then resave it as an object with the same name.

The process for saving is to select just one mesh, and press F5 to open only that element in the 3d window. Use the parallel projection dialog box to select 'side' view, then adjust the little camera symbol to view the mesh from the side you wish to become the top of the wall.

With the 3d window still active, go to File>Libraries & Objects>'Save 3d model as'. Check in the option button that 'Editable GDL script' is ticked, and save it as an 'object'.

You can now place this mesh object onto the floor plan using the Object tool and SEO it away from a wall. You could even use it as the wall directly, but you can't add doors and windows to it automatically.

Hope that helps.
Dwight
Newcomer
Many planes of the illustrated problem 'overhang,' making a mesh solution impossible.

This shape can be made with thin roof planes, using the 3D window to place and manipulate the planes...

To place windows, make an invisible wall the exact size of a window with a window in it - SEO for the hole.
Dwight Atkinson