Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Freeform 3D design tools kit

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think Archicad is quite rigid now. It needs a 3D toolskit like Vectorworks' one. We need the tools loft surface, shell solid, chamfer edge, project, Nurbs Surfaces or the basic primitives but not as gsm objects rather but objects with the same treatment as Walls, Slabs or Windows...

Sorry if my english is not totaly right. I hope you understand what I meant.
14 REPLIES 14
owen
Newcomer
This thread is touching on some of the topics touched on in the rather lengthy 'What are the new tools for ArchiCAD 13?' thread - particularly the idea of providing abstract geometric modelling tools (freeform inc) which can then be designated as certain element types - walls, beams, etc.

Essentially you define your geometry using whatever tools are required, then tell AC what that element is. So rather than the current method of using a Roof Tool to draw a sloping floor slab (as slabs cannot be inclined..) i use an inclined generic block element and then tell ArchiCAD wether that is a Slab, Wall, Roof, whatever. The geometry creation and building element classification should be abstracted to avoid these workarounds that develop when development of various tools lags (think of the varying Storey Display Options for remote elements) . Graphisoft could of course still provide tools which combined geometry and element classification together in one step (e.g windows, doors) to speed up common processes, but i think this layer of abstraction is critical to implementation of any new advanced modelling tools in order to avoid more workarounds.

more here:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=146781

cheers,

os
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Christiaan
Participant
We would adopt ArchiCAD if it were not for the lack of freeform modelling (and the Windows derived GUI shoehorned into the Mac version)
Erich
Contributor
Christiaan wrote:
and the Windows derived GUI shoehorned into the Mac version
Actually, ArchiCAD is a Mac program later ported to Windows not the other way around.

As for freeform tools, it would be nice...even if not absolutely necessary for my particular practice.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
I totally agree with joteroar's original point about the need for the forms to be intelligent and also rwallis' on intuitive and parametric requirements -- together these hit the sweetspot.
Vectorworks is a joy to use. The 3D tools are actually limited (compared to out and out 3D software) but the 'basic' functions translate to a basic learning curve and frequent use. I have invested in Cinema 4D for rendering as well as modeling with ArchiCAD but of course the objects come back as 'dumb' GDL forms instead of being information rich.
There are some incredible tutorials on this forum for building forms using AC's walls, slabs and with tools like objective etc - but AC seriously needs to make this process MUCH simpler. You never need to touch a single blob. It would greatly help from conceptual (rectilinear) mass modeling onwards.
Hopefully coming soon.
Christiaan
Participant
Erich wrote:
Christiaan wrote:
and the Windows derived GUI shoehorned into the Mac version
Actually, ArchiCAD is a Mac program later ported to Windows not the other way around.
Doesn't matter which way round it happened, the Mac version is now infected with Windows interface elements and thinking.

The thing is when a Mac-based office weighs up their options between, say, Vectorworks and ArchiCAD, the fact that Vectorworks is a proper Mac citizen and ArchiCAD is not is a factor in the decision. It certainly doesn't help in trying to convince my Director.