Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Text Problems with Windows7

vfrontiers
Enthusiast
I use a font called MARKER FELT (mac).. It's a truetype, so I just popped it onto my Win7 Machine.

If I bring a project from mac to win, all the text is jibberish... greek characters, etc.

If I TYPE something in a text box, it appears perfectly... but as soon as I click outside or select OK... the text turns to jibberish..

Just hoping someone's run into this before and has a solution...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
AFAIK, TrueType has to be converted to run properly on the other platform. OpenType is cross platform compatible.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Fonts are ususally contained in libraries, if you use one that is not in either the OS's own font library or the software's library you get junk.

The reason you see something in the text box, is that this box uses an internal font supplied by the software, then those characters get converted to the font when placed. If you don't own the font or haven't copied into the new machine then the gibberish issue is the only possible result.

However, you can change the font to one that does exist on the W7 machine (not satisfactory, but it will help meet that deadline. )

Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
snapcrackle wrote:
Fonts are ususally contained in libraries, if you use one that is not in either the OS's own font library or the software's library you get junk.
This may be true for Windows (I am only familiar with the system fonts). On a Mac fonts can be loaded from anywhere using the included Font Book app (or other 3rd party apps). Otherwise the ones in the system and user libraries are loaded by default. I believe Snap is right that text appears in edit mode by substituting a known font - probably Arial. (I'm still not sure about this application font thing.)

Truetype still needs to be converted in any case. I have a copy of Trans Type if you would like me to do the conversion for you.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ahem, you noticed I come the world of beige boxes...., well now we have me-too colored boxes.
Snap
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Yes... Turns out that Mark Felt is available as a FREE FONT on Fonts.com... But it is referenced differently... Mark Felt THIN PLAIN... Works on both Mac and PC...

I also want to be clear about the real issue...

In the Dialog Box for the label, the fonts and charachters appear FINE... PERFECT...

Once you click ok, tho, and go to the plan, it becomes jibberish... It is not replacing FONTS, jut characters.

I am over it now, switched everything to the new font and I am sure I'll be noticing all the ones I missed after the city comes back with the plan check!
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Anonymous
Not applicable
vfrontiers,
beating a dead horse perhaps, but anyway..

The text label box does not show fonts, only asci or default characters.
When placing a label onto a drawing AC maps the characters in the box to the requested font on the drawing.
Fonts are fancy images or pictograms if you will, that are substituted for the character at the time of placement.

Try this, in the label box set font as Arial then type a little bit of text, in same text box change the font to Coopers Black
and type some more, and choose Papyrus next, type some more. Before clicking outside the box to place the label,
look really carefully at the letters in the text box. They are all the same, no fonts here. Fonts "happen" only upon placement.

Said differently: there aren't any fonts per se in the dialog box, only a request to have characters translated into fonts.

So (in Windows) the text label box is always legible, using user supplied outside fonts is a crap shoot, unless u b very careful.

HTH,
Snap
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Snap,

That is not the case for me as they are not TEXT type labels. They are labels I've created to do things like read the tops of walls or display Clg Hts...

Dialog box shows correct font & characters, no matter what font I have..

In addition, even typing in the TEXT Box(not the label tool) with Marker Felt displays correct characters (in marker felt) while I'm typing, but when hitting OK, the text turns to jibberish....

I truly am beating a dead horse. It is just a font issue I'm sure. I've not run across any other font that acts the same.. Just one of those things that make you go "hmmmm"...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think this is why a lot of people (myself included) stick with fonts from the major foundries.