Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Where is the Damp proof course/membrane ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm looking for a simple fill that will represent a damp proof membrane. I've looked unser walls and slabs but I can't see it. I've searched google and the only link is a GS one but I don't understand how it works

Where can I find this fill type please ?

Thank You
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not clear how one would use a fill for this. If I understand what you mean I would use a line type in sections and details. Whether this would be automatic or manually drawn would depend on the circumstances.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, so should I just manually draw it in elevations and section with the ' line type ' tool ? I don't see the black and white dashes that represent a membrane

Can you show a membrane in 3D at all ?

Thank You
Djordje
Ace
NStocks wrote:
Ok, so should I just manually draw it in elevations and section with the ' line type ' tool ? I don't see the black and white dashes that represent a membrane

Can you show a membrane in 3D at all ?

Thank You
You can make it ... see how to make symbol fills ... and linetypes ... and use it in the composite structures. It would be probably enough to specify a dashes line for the skin representing the membrane, as the pen weight will take car of the rest.

3DD cutaway shows it if it is present in the composite.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I found a GS page earlier on how to create linetypes ( I think) for composite walls, but I didn't understand how it worked ( completely new at this ! )
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's the link : How to draw adashed line in ArchiCAD.

When I get to step 14, I can't see the newly created fill that I've made...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nstocks,

Don't create a composite wall type in order to show a membrane. Nor do you want to model it in 3D. use your composites to show major materials and relationships. The membrane might have different extents from job to job, and creating a new wall composite for every occasion clutters up you workflow. Plus the membrane will change direction at the footer, the wall type is not designed for that.

I'm not sure "where" you are in the design and documentation process. You seem to still be modeling and are trying to get the membrane into the model. Most of us are going to use 2D tools to draw the membrane onto a section, or independent detail.

I use a dashed polyline. I also draw the line away from the wall so that it shows up and is easy to see. If you draw it too close to the wall then you won't see the dashed line. See attached image, the major materials (walls, slabs, terrain mesh) in section are from the model but the membrane, drain line, gravel, rebars, etc are added to the section with 2D drafting tools.

Over time you will have saved a lot of standard conditions, for example I did not draw the drain line and gravel for this particular job, I drew that years ago, and have been reusing it since.

Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree with Snap here. While it's possible to have the membrane drawn automatically in the composite and/or profiled wall, unless it is very consistent around the entire project it is probably easier to draw a few lines in the details. I also agree that membranes are better drawn as schematic representations rather than precisely modeled.

In any case both ways are possible. It's up to you to figure out which works best for your needs.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I see. The reason I wanted it in 3D is so that I can show it in a partial structure display and label it like that, similarly this is how I would like to label the walls, windows slabs etc.

I've fairly new to ArchiCAD, and this is my first proper building so I'm still learning about foundations etc. in particular I will be using a pile foundation for this model which I believe I can model with a concrete column and slab ?

Thank You
Anonymous
Not applicable
Since you're new to the program I suggest you start with clean, tight, accurate and simple models. Depending on the size and type of the project a good rule of thumb is to model to a level of detail suitable for sections and elevations at 1/8" or 1/4" scale (1:100 or 1:50)